Thanks to the generosity of our friends, Blake and I have been able to spend the last few weeks watching installments of the recent HBO miniseries, John Adams. While I was student teaching, I found a copy of the McCullough biography it was based on in my mentor teacher's library, but was only able to get through about half of it before my time in that classroom ended. I'd like to someday finish it -- especially since I have been so impressed with the movie it was based on.I have long been in awe of our founding fathers -- inspired by their conviction, dedication, genius, and faith and can't help but be moved when I hear their stories. Though the chronicles of the American Revolution fascinate me to no end, I have found great pleasure in studying all aspects of American history. The subject thrills me so much that I deemed it as my college major, tacking on a teaching certificate as well so I could share it with others. I love my country, despite its flaws, and have immeasurable respect for those who fought to give it to me, as well as for those who continue to fight that I might keep it.
In keeping with this love for America's past, my bookshelves have, over the years, become showered with literature on the subject. I realize that not everyone finds reading non-fiction history works as enjoyable as I do, but I thought it still wouldn't hurt to list a few of my favorites here with you. After all, July 4th is, really, just around the corner, and a little brushing up on our nation's storied past isn't such a horrible idea. And so, without further delay, here is a sampling, in no particular order, of American history books that I've read and would highly recommend are worth the time it would take you to browse through them:
- George Washington: The Indispensable Man by James Thomas Flexner
- The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood
- The Great Republic: A History of America by Sir Winston Churchill
- Colonies to Nation, 1763-1789: A Documentary History of the American Revolution by Jack P. Greene
- Letters of a Nation by Andrew Carroll
- Our Sacred Honor: The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation by William J. Bennett
- Witness to America: An Illustrated Documentary History of the United States from the Revolution to Today by Stephen Ambrose and Douglas Brinkley
- We Interrupt This Broadcast by Joe Garner
- Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999 by Lisa Grunwald and Stephen J. Adler
- A History of the American People by Paul M. Johnson
- Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation by Cokie Roberts
- Jefferson's America, 1760-1815 by Norman K. Risjord
- 1776 by David McCullough (I have not yet read this, but plan to soon, as I hear nothing but fabulous things about it.)
- America the Beautiful: A Pop-Up Book by Robert Sabuda
- So You Want To Be President? by Judith St. George and David Small
(By the way, if you missed the John Adams miniseries on HBO, fear not: it will be released on DVD on June 10th)
**UPDATE, 5/29**
Last night we watched the final installment of John Adams. And wow. ...Wow. You guys really need to watch this film. The closing lines, spoken by Adams and probably adapted from his personal writings, were incredibly powerful and really resonated with me (which was, I'm sure, the intent of using them as the closing lines). He said:
"Oh, posterity, you will never know how much it cost us to preserve your freedom. I hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."Well said, Mr. Adams. Well said, indeed.
12 comments:
Oh, wow, those are some cool pictures. I'd love to visit those sites in person sometime. And thanks for the list of books. I'm going to put a few on hold at the library right now. I think if I were to ever to go back to school for a master's degree, I'd study history, specifically American history. It's a fascinating subject.
I love McCullough's writing and have read both John Adams (now a names sake I guess) and 1776. Loved both of them!
Dang, not sure if my first comment went through.
A pop-up book! I am totally getting it. Thanks for the other, more serious recommendations, too. Your blog is fab and you deserve all the readers you have!
Hey! I'm a friend of Desmama (so you can check with her...I'm not some random crazy person). I found your blog through her's and have been keeping up with your travels around NYC. Your blog is so fun! When I saw you loved history and the founding fathers, I just had to write. I love it too! It's so fascinating.
Thanks for sharing your fun and travels with the rest of us. And your recipes too! I tried your crockpot sweet and sour. Delish!
Welcome, Hot Chocolate, and thanks for reading!
Hello! One of my favorite topics! Yet another thing we have in common. While I've always loved the Founding Fathers, it wasn't until the past 10 years or so that I developed the great desire to read and study them. I totally picked up that John Adams book at Costco a month ago, and it's waiting for me to read it. You've convinced me to watch that HBO special; I may have to buy or rent that.
Thanks for the list. Some of those books look intriguing.
Sal just finished reading 1776 and loved it. We've both been listening to it on CD. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
Thanks for the book list! I'm excited to check them out. I'm totally going to get that John Adams miniseries from the library as soon as I can. Also, I think 1776 is great. We listened to it on CD on our drive from Utah to Omaha. I have a hard time focusing when I listen to a book on tape, since I'd much prefer to read, but I did enjoy it. Have you ever read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara? That book really helped the Battle of Gettysburg come alive for me.
You beat us! We got sucked into the American Idol vortex but now we'll finish the series and we can all discuss it sometime.
Can I add "Miracle at Philadelphia" by Catherine Drinker Bowen. The definitive book on the creation of the Constitution. It is an absolute must-read.
Oh I've been wanting to see that! So glad that it's being released on DVD... I'll have to check it out!
lindsay, i am so sad that i have no been keeping up with you as i should! you are SUCH an inspiration to live it up WHERE you are, WHEN you are and with THOSE you are blessed to be with. thanks for the great blog posts
Post a Comment