Thursday, May 22, 2008

if you're happy and you know it

Clap your hands!



Garrett's been soclose to clapping his hands for months now and just the other day they came together for the first time. He (and I) couldn't be more pleased. Sometimes I'll catch him joyfully clapping while his face beams with pride (and a healthy dose of surprise) at his new ability. It's hilarious.

Also, Garrett is still not crawling, but to compensate, he has developed abs of steel. Where other kids would use their ability to roll over to bring themselves from a horizontal position into a full sit, Garrett will just pull himself up. One minute he'll be lying on his back, and the next, enticed by some object he desperately needs to have right that second, he'll do a movement akin to a sit-up to pull himself into a full sit. It's pretty crazy to watch. Crazy, and yet incredibly impressive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milestones are so exciting! They really make up for all the not so fun parts when you see your babe do something new :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Funny how kids develop at their own rate and sequence. Clapping is so fun. What a cutie pie.

I always wondered how kids that don't roll over compensate and learn to sit up. Did you "teach" him to sit up, or did he figure it out on his own?

Lindsay said...

No, he figured the sitting up trick himself. He's resourceful, my boy is. Resourceful and apparently really, really strong.

Erin said...

I've noticed that kids who clap earlier, walk later and vice versa. Anna walked early but just started clapping in the last two weeks.

She heard the video and came running over to me so she could watch Garrett's accomplishment. She watched with glee, clapping along with him. So cute!

Lyndsie Miles said...

That makes me smile and laugh!
So cute and responding to your words is really good as well! I have to sing things to get Andrew to do things.

Sara said...

Yay for learning to clap! It's such a fun skill...really!

JoEllen said...

I think Garrett's little laugh at the end of the video is the cutest part! He is adorable.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It will be interesting, then, to see if Dean walks late. He's been clapping (with good coordination) since he was 5 months or so. He doesn't, however, clap on demand.

Samantha said...

Ha!! What a cute kid!!! He's such a blondie, too! I love his look of surprise and delight, accompanied by panting.