On the occasion of my first Mother's Day
(last year not fully counting because he was still inside me).
When you were planted
in my belly,
in my heart,
I showered you
with more love
than I knew I had.
Your roots spread
and sprouted
tiny toes
which tickled me
inside and out.
And with the harvest
your mother was born.
I thrive on you.
Your love,
your need,
for me -
the way you wrap your arms
around my neck and
rest your head on
my shoulders -
keeps my petals
warm and soft.
Every smile,
giggle and grin,
every burst of
uncontrollable, ticklish laughter,
keeps my blossoms vibrant.
And though tears and illness
cause a part of me to
sadly wilt,
the way you bounce back
with such forceful happiness
sparks the strong in me
and I recover too.
You grow
and I grow.
You blossom
and I blossom.
I am the gardener
and you are my garden.
(Or do I have that
backwards?)
I created you
and you created me.
You are my child
and I am your mother.
8 comments:
This is one of the best poems I've read in a really long time.
Happy Mother's day.
Thank you! I'm flattered. :)
Very powerful poem!
Bill usually stays at the YMCA< I'm not sure of the dates, I'll fillyou in when I know more!
So sweet! Happy Mother's Day.
Lovely. You're amazing. I maintain (even now having both kids) that the thing that's different/special about the first is that that child is the one that makes you a mom. It's far more dramatic the first time, and even though it's nice knowing how to do the job well the second time around, it's certainly more of an adventure the first time!
loved this lindsay... well said!
Wow! Lindsay, this is a beautiful poem! Thank you for writting it! I hope you're collecting these for a book!
This is lovely. So glad you shared!!
Post a Comment