Friday, December 07, 2007

on motherhood

After watching some of my nursery children scamper about my living room while I hosted playgroup this morning; after reading this month's Ensign, with its timely First Presidency message and artwork featuring the love a mother has for her children; after reflecting upon both Mary's responsibility to raise the Christ child as well as my own new responsibilities as a mother; and after reflecting on the wonder of childhood, I have found myself simultaneously feeling both an overwhelming weight of the responsibility and trust given me and an exhilarating rush of awe and gratitude for it. And, I must admit, it has reduced me to a few tears over the last couple of days. So here are a few sentiments which I have both read recently, as well as a few which have penetrated me for years on the beauty of motherhood.

"I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us. "
Charles Dickens

"When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother's heart, and she puts it into the baby's mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."
E. T. Sullivan

"O sisters, too, how may we do, For to preserve this day This poor Youngling for whom we sing; By, by, lully, lullay."
The Coventry Carol

"It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can't) you would see your own mother doing this, and you would find it very interesting to watch her. It is quite like tidying up drawers. You would see her on her knees, I expect, lingering humorously over some of your contents, wondering where on earth you had picked this thing up, making discoveries sweet and not so sweet, pressing this to her cheek as if it were as nice as a kitten, and hurriedly stowing that out of sight. When you wake up in the morning, the naughtiness and evil passions with which you went to bed have been folded up small and placed at the bottom of the your mind, and on the top, beautifully aired, are spread out your prettier thoughts, ready for you to put on."
J. M. Barrie in Peter and Wendy

"Behold your little ones, and see within them the wonders of God, from whose presence they have recently come."
President Gordon B. Hinckley

"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."
Elder Russell M. Nelson

"Whatever the era, whatever the times, one thing will never change: Fathers and mothers, if you have children, they must come first. You must read to your children and you must hug your children and you must love your children. Your success as a family, our success as a society, depends not one what happens in the White House, but on what happens inside your house."
Barbara Bush to the graduates of Wellesley College

14 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Beautiful post. I too am often in awe at the great and marvelous responsibility we mothers have. I loved, LOVED, reading your collection of thoughts. Thank you!

goddessdivine said...

Nice thoughts.

I really like the one from the former first lady, because it's not often you hear something like that from someone prominent.

AmyJane said...

Ahhhh. Very nice, and so refreshing to hear and read about motherhood from this particular angle. I especially love the J.M. Barrie quote, since I often find myself in my son's room, right before I go to bed, for no real reason other than to stare at him and be amazed at how beautiful he is in his sleep and how very, very much I can love this little person.
I think if we can just hold on to this glowy perspective, that is what makes all the difference in being a "good" mom. We have to work hard to recapture this frame of mind some days, but as long as we can, I think that's the trick.

lori said...

beautiful. Thanks, Linds.

MidCityGal said...

Lindsay, I'm DesMama's sister and I read your blog sometimes. You are a fabulous writer and I am very touched by your thoughts on motherhood. I am expecting-- to become a mother to a little girl in January. So, I appreciate your wisdom and especially this collection of thoughts.

Lindsay said...

midcitygal - Welcome! And congratulations!!

Desmama said...

Ah, these quotes were just the thing I needed to read today.

AnnP said...

LIndsay - I, too, read your blog sometimes. I am friends (we met on blogger) with Samantha and Zara, and I have a 6 month old baby. I like reading your blog since our babies are so close in age. Anyways, I have been feeling similiar emotions about motherhood. It is simultaneously the most wonderful and the most overwhelming and stressful experience of my life. Thank you for the quotes. I especially love Elder Nelson's. I sometimes forget how divine it is to be a mother. THnak you.
Alexis

Lindsay said...

Alexis - Welcome to you, too! Thanks for reading!

Tiffany DeWitt said...

Thanks for the post. I also loved reading the message from President Hinckley. It is so important to share the message of the value of Motherhood. It is especially nice to hear having small children.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for commenting, Tiffany! Your little boy is darling, by the way.

Also, who knew a post with a collection of thoughts on motherhood would bring so many of you out of the woodwork. It must have a struck a chord somewhere. I have to say, though....I really like hearing from you guys! Totally brightens my day!

Sarah Kay said...

That makes me want to snap up all the foster children in the world - the ones that are abused and neglected - and gives them hugs and read them stories; because I'm already doing it and it's just so important at this critical age.

Sara said...

I must admit that last Christmas (when Christopher was only 4 weeks old) I had similar thoughts. Watching him grow up so nicely helps me to realize just how much a mother does and how much our Heavenly Parents love us and find joy in our growth. Thanks for reminding me!

Kristeee said...

The night before you posted this I had flipped through the Ensign and was just in awe of the miracle of being pregnant and bringing a little one to the earth. The E. T. Sullivan quote about how God gets things done on earth by sending a helpless baby to a simple home struck a chord with me - what an awesome thing to wonder what small influence we might have in the future of the world because we take the time to raise and teach a child! No wonder why Mary had so much to ponder over in her heart, knowing what she did!

Thanks for the post, Lindsay. I had thought of doing something similar, but the extra quotes you collected here are most excellent and could not be topped. :)