I hope you can all gather from the fact that it's Thursday and I'm posting to mean that I survived Wednesday's flight well enough to sit here and tell the tale. (Or is that type the tale?) Anyhow, according to the flight attendants, I have an Angel Baby -- the kind who sleeps, coos, plays, and, except for the time when he needed a poopy diaper changed, does not cry during a 5 1/2 hour flight across the country. I'm pretty sure, though, that it was because I had two empty seats next to me and could let my Angel Baby spread out that elevated Garrett's status up from simply Cute But Anxiously Squirmy Baby.
The pleasantries couldn't last forever, though, and by the time we got to Provo and started sending Garrett through what were, according to him, the five million, in-your-face introductions to his adoring uncles, aunts, and grandparents, we had one cranky baby on our hands. Or on my hands. (I miss Blake.) I'm surprised, though, that I wasn't equally as cranky. What with that unmentionably early wake-up to get to the airport on time, not being able to sleep myself en route because of the bizarre position in which Garrett decided to konk out in my arms, the transition from New York time to Utah time, and the dealing with the above-mentioned cranky baby (whose lungs, I swear, get more powerful by the day), I was awake for nearly 24 straight hours. I think it's safe to say that last night's full and almost uninterrupted sleep was extremely beneficial to both Garrett's and my well-being.
But despite the sleep-deprived crankiness, we've already been served a full plate of vacation fun. My mom, Garrett, and I stopped at the mall yesterday afternoon to listen to my old elementary school choir, the Grandview Choraleers, perform their Christmas concert. And yesterday evening we settled in at the middle school to hear my sister, Chelsea's, orchestra concert. Just before we threw in the towel and called it a night, Blake's brother, Eric, his sister, Kimberly, and her fiance, David, stopped by to meet The Nephew. It was fun to see them, and good to meet this fellow who in nine days will become my brother-in-law. And now, with a few morning errands behind us, I think I can call it wraps on my Christmas shopping.
And lest you think the full serving of fun has already been swallowed, let me assure you that there is plenty left for seconds. Looking briefly ahead, tonight is Chelsea's piano recital and tomorrow night we get to head up to Salt Lake City to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing with the King's Singers at the Conference Center (except for Garrett, who will be better off with babysitters, Uncle Riley and Aunt Chelsea, Senior), and at some point we'll decorate the tree that was bought last night. So stay tuned...there will be more to write about soon.
6 comments:
Oh, I'm so excited for all your vacation fun! It makes me think of the times we'd come in to visit with family and how it was a mad race to fit everything in, but so great. I hope you enjoy the King's Singers.
Hey Lindsay, Royce and I will be at the King Singers/MoTab concert tomorrow as well. Maybe we'll run into each other? (Ok, so what if the place holds 20,000 people. I still think the chances are good!)
Glad you're surviving. 24 hours awake is pretty rough!
oh I feel your pain! (sort of) I think vacations and fun are a lot more exhausting than everyday life.
AH!! I am going to the concert too with the Wildes! Will we at last meet? Oh I can hardly wait. And I have to say you are a better sister than I am, who instead of going to Bethanie's choraleers concert went and bought a stunning dress for New Years Eve.
Glad you made it safe and sound. I'm going to MoTab tonight. Yay!
Wow. Sounds like you made it in one piece! Good for you! Enjoy the holidays in Utah. We're off to Oregon on Monday...not sure our babe will be an angel this time...now that he wants to talk/"walk"/and throw toys all the time. Sigh...I miss him being a tiny baby...
Post a Comment