About a week ago, the secretary to the CEO of the company Blake works for handed Blake an envelope from her boss which contained two complimentary Knicks tickets. So we hired a pair of babysitters, told Garrett to be a good boy...
...and then we got really nervous about leaving him for, essentially, the first time since he was born (we're not counting the couple of times a visiting family member has kindly volunteered to watch him while we escaped for an errand). Would he be a happy, playful boy, or would he be ridden with reflux-induced screams and nervous stranger anxiety? Had we left clear enough instructions? Did we remind our friends that it was important not to drop him?
Of course he'd be just fine, we reassured ourselves as we walked to the subway. Scott and Ashley are responsible, baby-loving adults who, armed with the instructions we gave them and the few tricks we tucked up their sleeves, would do fine. And of course we knew that they knew not to drop him.
It was still strange, though, to be riding the subway without Garrett in tow.
We stopped first for dinner at the New York Burger Company, which was oh, so good and faintly reminiscent of the glories of our favorite burger joint in Provo, Jerry's, which has since, sadly, kicked the bucket.
Well fed, we then walked the few blocks north to Madison Square Garden which, we were reminded several times throughout the evening, is the most famous arena in the world.
The Knicks were playing the Philadelphia 76ers, and I can't boast that I'm familiar with current basketball stats and rankings, but I can tell you that the Knicks could have played a lot better. I, who had been their number 1 fan for all of three hours, was incredibly disappointed. (Hopefully, their season will improve. After all, we're going to be New Yorkers for a while and we need a decent team to support.)
Despite the fact that our team was consistently shooting well under par (both literally and figuratively), we still had a lot of fun. It was Kids Night at The Garden (which, again, in case you forgot, is the world's most famous arena), and that for some reason made me feel okay about leaving Garrett at home. Though I really can't claim a logical explanation for this reasoning, it might have had something to do with the fact that I was surrounded by game-going children who made me feel right at home. Or maybe it was the excellent dance performances by the Knicks City Kids, who, with their ability to outdo the competition in acrobatics, were more entertaining to watch than the Knicks City Dancers (a.k.a. the cheerleaders).
Sometime during the first quarter, I received a nice message from Ashley: "Hey! Everything is going great. He is being a good boy and he ate all his carrots." At halftime I called to check in and was reassured that the only crankiness he had exhibited was due to a dire need to go to bed.
So, my baby was apparently doing just fine without me. And while on the one hand I felt relieved, on the other I felt a teensy bit slighted.
A few minutes into the fourth quarter, amid chants of "Fire Isiah! Fire Isiah!" we decided to cut our losses and get ahead of the crowds. Our Knicks were down by a pathetic 20 points, so, apparent fair-weather fans that we are, we left them to fend for themselves. (We looked up the score later for confirmation that we'd made the right decision. And we did: they lost 77 to 105.)
Because good dates, according to Blake's way of thinking, come in threes (meal, activity, dessert), and because it was chilly, we stopped at a nearby Dunkin' Donuts for some hot chocolate, which we sipped as we walked back to the subway. The train ride home was miserably slow, and we were almost evacuated while we were riding over the Manhattan Bridge (a train ahead of us was stopped on the tracks, and the train we were in had to pull the emergency brakes, thus triggering the automatic announcement preparing us passengers for evacuation. It was a moment of anxious excitement, to be sure). While we sat waiting (and waiting) for our train to start moving, I turned to Blake and thanked him for a swell evening out. "Don't thank me," he replied, in much the same manner as his co-worker account manager does after taking Blake out for lunch,"thank the investors."
We arrived back home to the pleasant scene of our baby snoozing in his crib and our babysitters looking decidedly non-frazzled. I, for one, had a fabulous night on the town, and am relieved to know that our son, at least for the time being, knows how to be good for the babysitters. So, thanks, Scott and Ashley, for helping us out! We're sad our new favorite babysitters are moving back to Idaho. You know you're more than welcome to fly out to New York and watch Garrett any time.
9 comments:
Scott and I are wondering where are investors are. ;)
Glad you had a good time. It's so hard to leave and not worry. I'm still working on that and my kids are older!
Go you! The first time we left Carson so we could go on a date, I made my husband leave the movie to call and make sure he wasn't screaming. Of course he wasn't, but it didn't ease my mommy worrying instinct. I only remember about 2 minutes of the movie.
Good for you for getting out and getting some alone time. I think that's important. Not only that but Garrett will learn (hopefully) to let sitters watch him and he won't be so clingy. You'll actually appreciate that too.
Sounds like a fun evening, but I'm sure would have been better had the Knicks stepped up their game a little.
I'm so glad to know that Madison Square Garden is the world's most famous arena. I didn't even know it was an arena, so apparently I wasn't contributing to their statistic much until now.
Wish I could have seen the Knicks City Kids! Maybe you could teach Garrett some sweet moves so he can be in the Knicks City Kids someday!
Oh that is so much fun! You have to stop by Serindipity sometime while you are in New York--its the place they actually filmed where John Cusack left his scarf at the coffee shop in Serindipity. They have AMAZING frozen hot chocolate there. Actually now that I think about it I didn't take Elliot while we were there in July--dang! Oh well maybe we'll make it out around June and I'll take him then.
Yeah, about Serendipity...I'm not so sure I ever want to go there. It was recently shut down by the health department (for roaches, mice, and other things I'd rather not be sharing my food with), which shocked a lot of people since it's supposed to be this posh little cafe. They apparently got their act together and reopened a few days ago, but still....it gives me the heebie jeebies. So, um, yeah...we'll see about Serendipity.
Maybe, though, if you look me up if you make it out here in June, you can work on trying to personally convince me to go. :)
How fun for you two, getting to spend some quality time together without baby! A night on the town, unfrazzled babysitters, and hot chocolate on a chilly night? What's not to love?
(P.S. Go Sixers! hehe - when we lived in Valley Forge, PA, Shawn Bradley played for the 76ers and was in our ward. At 7'6" he had to duck to walk through the halls, and the microphone at the pulpit only came up to his chest or so.)
How fun! I still haven't gotten over the anxiety I feel when I leave my kids with a babysitter (not related to me). I've left Jackson maybe a total of 5 times his entire life with someone other then my mother or sister. :/ Way to go Garrett!
Sounds like you had a great night out!!! Good for you. :) Garrett, you're such a nice baby boy to let you parents have some time out!
Post a Comment