Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Poems for a Tuesday

I have this growing collection of poems that I love, and for the last, oh, while, I've been trying to gather then into something more organized than scraps of paper and random notebooks. In doing so, I've come across a few ("few" = "roughly 200") gems. I thought maybe today I'd share a few ("few" = "3") with you. I didn't pick these three for any special reason other than I liked them, though not necessarily more than any others. All the poems I have in my collection I have because I like them. So it was hard to pick just three. But I had to draw the line somewhere. Enjoy!

Messenger

by Mary Oliver


My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird—
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.

i thank You God for most this amazing
by e e cummings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Monet
by Howard Nemerov

Unable to get into the Monet show,
Too many people there, too many cars,
We spent the Sunday morning at the Bowl Pond
A mile from the Museum, where no one was,
And walked an hour or so around the rim
Beside five acres of flowering waterlilies
Lifting three feet above their floating pads
Huge yellow flowers heavy on bending stems
In various phases of array and disarray
Of Petals packed, unfolded, opening to show
The meaty orange centers that become,
When the ruined flags fall away, green shower heads
Spilling their wealth of seed at summer’s end
Into the filthy water among small fish
Mud-colored and duck moving explorative
Through jungle pathways opened among the fronds
Upon whose surface water drops behave
Like mercury, collecting in heavy silver coins
Instead of bubbles; some few redwinged blackbirds
Whistling above all this once in a while,
The silence else unbroken all about.

4 comments:

Kristeee said...

I love the bright-eyed curiosity and wonder expressed at the world and God's creations. Standing still and learning to be astonished - that sounds like a life-long ambition.

Thanks for sharing!

coolhandluke said...

I really enjoyed those poems. Do you have a particular book that has a good collection of poems? I enjoy poetry, but often have no clue where to start looking for the good stuff.

Lindsay said...

Hey Lee! I'm glad you liked the poems. The best way I’ve found to find good poetry is to just keep your eyes open for it. Because trust me – it’s there. Poetry isn’t just for English class; it’s all over the place. I read the daily poem on Garrison Keillor’s “Writer’s Almanac” (there’s a link on my sidebar), I pay attention to the lyrics of songs I enjoy, I visit poetry websites like poets.org, I occasionally browse through the poetry section at the library, I get my hands on copies of the “Collected Works” of especially favorite poets. Also, about a year ago I started a Poetry of the Month club over email with some friends where basically we come up with a monthly theme and everyone who wants to submits a poem relating to the theme and emails it to me, and then I compile it and send it out to everyone. You’re welcome to join, if you want. I just would need your email address. (In fact, anyone who reads this blog and wants to join is more than welcome. I’d just need your email address and, if you’re a blog reader who uses a pseudonym, your real name would be helpful).

That’s basically how I find good poems. For the most part, I’m not a fan of books of poetry collections, mostly because they’re the poems that someone else thinks are great. I prefer gathering a collection of poems that I think are great.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wow. I love the way excellent poetry shifts your worldview slightly and makes you see Beauty where you hadn't before. Lovely, lovely.