Monday, March 05, 2007

This just ruffles my feathers

Each fall, hoards of geese fly down from Canada to spend their winters here. (Why they think they'll be any warmer here than in Canada is anyone's guess.) They're beautiful birds, and they're everywhere this time of year. But apparently they're becoming a problem. The Indiana Department of Natural Resource, in partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has just made it very legal and very easy for property owners to destroy the eggs and nests of the geese to help control the population. All they have to do is apply online for a permit and they can destroy as many Canada goose eggs and nests as they want between March 1 and June 30.

Now, I'm not an extreme environmentalist by any means, but doesn't this seem a bit rash to anyone else but me? I know that geese are not by nature kind and cuddly creatures, and there are an awful lot of these surprisingly urban-loving, domesticated birds, but aren't there other ways to control where these geese lay their eggs? I just wonder if perhaps these geese-destroying measures will get out of control and before people realize it, more harm than good will have been done. And then casual bird watchers like myself won't have anything to ooh and aah over every winter.

So does this ruffle anyone else's feathers? If you want to read more than just my biased opinion, here's the article that was in the paper today.

...And in other feather ruffling news...the 5:30 news this evening reported something rather disturbing. [I'll wait for a moment whilst you glance through the article.] And now...what the heck? Why is it okay for two sixth graders (!!) to engage in illicit sexual activity in a classroom with witnesses and a teacher present (!!!) and then not do some suspending and/or firing? Or, for that matter, some official reporting of the incident? This happened months ago and school officials are still refusing to talk about it. What is wrong with this school district? This is just sick, that's what.

I think maybe I should stop reading the papers and watching the news. Good grief.

2 comments:

Kristeee said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Are you serious?? It would be very educational, no doubt, but 1 - 6th graders?!? and 2 - the adults didn't freak out and expel them?

And destroying Canadian Geese should be wrong. Yes, they poop everywhere . . . but so do dogs. At least they could come up with a natural predator to control the population, and not just smashing eggs in your backyard. (I loved living in the "Mississippi Flyway" and hearing all the geese honk as they flew overhead in the winter.)

goddessdivine said...

Re the geese--it is a little harsh, but ecosystems need to be maintained. If there's too many geese that can effect food chains and what not.

Re the 6th graders--Oh. My. Gosh. My jaw is still on the floor. And you wonder why parents are sick of public education and opting for the voucher system. I'm a public educator and even I think there are so many issues--this being one of them. Districts have stupid policies and aren't firing or slapping enough wrists.

I too get fired up with the newspaper. So many imbeciles in the world.