Wednesday, March 14, 2007

3.14

This is totally nerdy, but I just couldn't resist wishing you all a

HAPPY PI DAY!



And now for a few slices of pi:
  • I do not fully grasp the concept of pi. On the other hand, I do fully grasp the concept of pie.
  • But my brother, Tyler, loves pi. And I really mean LOVES it. In fact, my knowledge of Pi Day would not be had he not introduced me to it a few years ago. So, Tyler -- this post is for you.
  • Tyler can recite from memory the first 100 digits of pi.
  • He can also recite them backwards.
  • And in Spanish.
  • If learning to recite the first 100 digits of pi backwards does not interest you, you can take the following shortcut and just recite "Pi" backwards, as follows: "Ip."
  • Pi Day is a good day to sing songs about pi.
  • And just because Pi Day isn't the sort of holiday you can skip work for, it doesn't mean you can't celebrate. Just follow these steps.
  • Today, March 14th (i.e., 3.14) is also Albert Einstein's birthday. Coincidence? I think not.
  • Pi Day is a fabulous day to eat pie in a dish like this. Eat up, my friends -- apple, pumpkin, lemon meringue, chocolate mousse, key lime. Have at it.
So, happy Pi Day everybody. Now go thank 3.14 math teachers for introducing you to the mysterious world of pi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry Lindsay! A few more interesting facts:

- The height of an elephant (from foot to shoulder) can be calculated by multiplying the diameter of it's foot by 2pi
- If you pick any two random integers the probability that they do not share any common factors is 6/pi^2
- You can find your hat size by measuring your head then dividing by pi
- The first 100 digits (following the decimal point) are:

3.
14159265358979323846
26433832795028841971
69399375105820974944
59230781640628620899
86280348253421170679

Sara said...

Wow. Good thing there are several apples on the counter waiting for someone to make them into a pie...now I have that excuse I was looking for!

goddessdivine said...

Yay for pie day!! Did you know that there's some guy that has the first 10,000 numbers of pi memorized? One of those geniuses.

We celebrated pi day today in my two math classes. Some kids brought some pies and they were delicious.

Kristeee said...

See, math is good for something after all! You can make up for your perceived math deficiency on pi day. My mom and I shared a piece of asphault pie at Wingers. Mmmmm....