Monday, March 26, 2007

"Optimism:

The doctrine that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly, everything good, especially the bad, and everything right that is wrong... It is hereditary, but fortunately not contagious."

-- Ambrose Bierce

On Friday, some feisty cardinals got in an argument with a couple of sparrows and finches on our birdfeeder, and in the fight that ensued, they broke the cute little house-shaped feeder beyond repair.

But on the bright side…we finally had the justification we needed to purchase a finch feeder (i.e. a mesh sock with seed inside), and all weekend we’ve enjoyed watching flocks of tiny, adorable finches eating outside our living room window.

On Saturday night, my glasses broke for no apparent reason. And we’re not talking just your quick-fix lost screw. So I had Blake drive me over to the mall optical where we bought them to see what could be done. Unfortunately, because my warranty only just expired, the only thing that could be done was hope that style of frame was still available and fork over $150 to get them to switch the lenses.

But on the bright side…they still carry my frames, and I figured that since I had to spend the money anyway, I might as well pick a different color. So now my glasses are now brown instead of black, and I like them much better.

I woke up last night at 1:00, and tossed and turned with an upset stomach until 3:00, at which point I decided to just get up and go read on the couch. I stayed there still 4:20, and finally fell asleep at 5:00. I feel kind of yucky today.

But on the bright side…while I was awake with my book, the baby kept kicking me – and hard – but it was comforting to realize I wasn’t out there on the couch all by myself. Also, I’m still functioning enough to be at work and have the option, if I need it, to take the afternoon off and go home and lie down.

2 comments:

goddessdivine said...

It is good to look at the bright side of things.....something I need to work on, and perhaps will be a life-long struggle.

I had chocolate brown glasses before I got contacts. Brown is a good color.

Kristeee said...

That had to be a fun realization that you had company! That's sad about your birdhouse - but at least you have all the little birdies around. It always made me happy to see them at the feeder when we lived out there.

I'm all for taking the afternoon off work. Pregnant or not :)