Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Miracles

How many miracles have you personally experienced in your life? In the last year? Today?

A recent post by Silly Marie has brought to my mind again just how many miracles I have been privileged to be witness to and personally experience over the course of my life. Here is how I might answer the questions I asked above, remembering, of course, that my human brain can't recall, or even comprehend, every miracle:

In my lifetime:
  • that I am a part of a loving family who sincerely cares for me and my well-being;
  • that I have received a wonderful and (almost) well-rounded education (I sadly did my best to avoid math at all costs, and for the most part truly succeeded);
  • that I -- shy, timid, afraid-of-boys-in-general Lindsay -- actually got married.
In the last year:
  • that I've adjusted so well to a move so far away from home;
  • that the time has come, and circumstances are right, for Blake and I to finally get to start our family;
  • that I have found several good friends and one incredibly good friend here in Muncie.
Today:
  • that despite the fact that my work-day has dragged on extremely slowly, the hour between 2:00 and 3:00 passed by surprisingly quick making it more bearable;
  • that out of the kindness of people I don't even know very well, I was lent several lovely items of maternity clothes;
  • that my latest work project has helped me to jump a hurdle in my "fear of the telephone."

I have been blessed with big miracles, like the time I got a job just before our entire savings was depleted, or the time we learned that my miscarriage wasn't in fact viable. I have also been blessed with little miracles, like the fact that the sun came out today for the first time in a while, or that the city filled that nasty pothole on Tillotson Avenue.

The Lord works in His own time, and I've come to clearly recognize that. I've also come to learn that He requires faith which is both constant and as unwavering as possible. I do my best to give Him both, though it is not always easy. Sometimes I just want to throw my hands up into the air and ask, "Why must I keep waiting?" even though I know the answer to that question: that waiting helps me to grow, waiting helps me to be able to recognize the miracles when they come.

I agree with Silly Marie when she says that the Lord presents us with miracles when we most need to be reminded that He loves us and wants what's best for us, even if that means waiting on His time schedule. But such is indeed the nature of a miracle.

5 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Nicely put.

Desmama said...

This post got me thinking a lot about miracles in my life, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. Some days i still marvel at the miracles that have occurred for me--things that maybe other people would think aren't that big of a deal, but to me were really a significant event.

Lindsay said...

Silly Marie - Thanks. And thanks for the inspiration.

Desmama - That's exactly it: the signficance people place on the events that happen in their life. I see miracles occuring every day in my life, and though not everyone would label them "miracles" as I might, they are still extremely significant to me and I wouldn't be where I am without them. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way. :)

goddessdivine said...

It's always good the reflect on the little miracles in our lives; we all have them.

I can't believe you avoided math--that's my favorite subject. I'm actually working on a math endorsement.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

The waiting thing has been hard for me as well, but I've found too that waiting does shape you into something that at least resembles what the Lord wants to see.

Thank goodness.

And thanks for the reminders of both the big and little miracles in our lives. Makes me want to go read Elder Bednar's talk about Tender Mercies again. :^)