Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lost & Found

Back in late November, when our fellow ward members all started to receive their December Ensigns, we started to look forward to the arrival of ours as well. After a few weeks of not finding ours in our mailbox, we started to give up hope of seeing it. Because maybe the mailman put it in someone else's mailbox by mistake, which would have been fine -- maybe someone needed it more, someone who was particularly needing the spiritual boost that comes from reading the First Presidency's Christmas message. When it wasn't in the pile of mail being held for us while we were away for Christmas, we assumed that, no, we'd never see that issue.

But apparently we were wrong. Because our December 2006 Ensign came in the mail yesterday. Who knew?

It makes me wonder what happened...was this the fault of the postal service? Was our magazine just lost in the mail for a few weeks? Did it fall into some dark corner at church headquarters only to be suddenly discovered, dusted off, and belatedly delivered? I guess we'll never know.

But there's nothing like a Christmas message to warm you heart and soul in spring-blossoming March.

And speaking of, if you ever find yourself able to come to Muncie during the warmer months, and, when packing your suitcase, you find yourself debating whether to bring with you equipment for a gentle game of soft-/baseball or ultimate frisbee, I suggest you bring your mitt and ball. Because playing catch is what people here spread out on the grassy fields for. Not sure why this is...maybe the ultimate frisbee craze that was all the rage on the grassy fields at BYU has yet to move this far east. People here, I guess, just haven't yet moved beyond 1989 and their Midwestern Field of Dreams.

7 comments:

Sarah Kay said...

frisbee is definitely a western thing. I like baseballs because they're much easier to predict a landing spot. ;)

goddessdivine said...

I love ultimate frisbee.

Was the wrapping taken off your magazine? Maybe your postal worker took a gander. That is very bizarre, though.

Desmama said...

I just got a quilting magazine that was stopped up somewhere in Postal Wonderland for several months. I even got the issue that came out after this one a few weeks ago. So weird. It did look like it had been hashed through a machine of some sort.

Lindsay said...

Sarah -- Agreed. I've never been much for frisbee.

Kristen -- No, we got it with all wrapping still on. Weird.

Desmama -- So, are you telling me this is normal? :)

Jenny said...

So in Dec we got a letter for a neighbor and kept meaning to go put it back in the mailbox only it took me like 6 weeks to actually do it. I feel bad about it, and I feel worse reading this.

Maybe one of your neighbors had it this whole time and finally stuck in back in the mailbox for the postman to deliver. : )

Kristeee said...

Too bad you didn't get it 30 years down the road - you could've made "strange but true" headlines on msn. I was totally lost when we moved to Utah my senior year of High School and everyone was playing ultimate frisbee. I had no clue what that was or how to play it. And when I did play it I thought it was overrated. Sure, we played frisbee in my family, but it was more like how we played catch (which we spent a lot of time doing). Just another "I'm a country girl at heart" moment.

Lindsay said...

Jenny -- Don't feel bad. Better late than never, I guess. (And welcome, by the way.)

Kristeee -- Yay! I'm not the only one who thinks ultimate frisbee is overrated! It got old playing it for every single FHE in my BYU wards.