You know, it's a lot of fun to share happy news with you all. Thanks for expressing your excitement for us. It really brightens my day.
As I suppose is usual with an announcement such as this, I've been asked a lot of questions. Today I will attempt to answer them.
1. How have you been feeling?
In a word, siiiiiick. Or blech. Take your pick. Oh, and very, very tired. Seriously, this time around has been so much worse than with Garrett -- and that was no picnic. Oddly enough, I've felt the best in the mornings. Then lunchtime hits and it's all downhill from there. Evenings and nights have been the worst. The cold winter weather hasn't helped much, either to boost my spirits and general outlook on life, or my motivation to get out and take my mind off of feeling crummy. We've had lots of low-key inside days these last few months. Happily, though, the good moments are starting to become more frequent.
I've also been feeling big. My body apparently knows what to do this second time around and isn't wasting any time in doing it. Of course, feeling big and looking big are two different things at this point, but either way, my belly is about a month ahead of what it was with Garrett.
2. Is pregnancy your excuse for less frequent blog postings?
Feeling sick certainly hasn't helped, but it's only part of the reason. I've also been extremely busy lately running the Primary (we've got our first quarterly activity coming up this Saturday, among other things), Garrett continues to demand much of me, and don't forget my New Year's resolution to spend less time at the computer.
3. How far along are you?
I'm a few days shy of the beginning of the second trimester. Hallelujah. I've seen sweet Number Two's heart beating several times now, and have started to feel a little movement.
4. Are you hoping for a girl this time?
Nearly everyone I know is crossing their fingers (or already assuming) that Garrett will be blessed with a little sister, and I'll continue to let them hope. A girl would be great (and it would make picking a name much easier), and a boy would be great (which, because we've got the clothes, would reduce the overall cost). Really, though, I just want a healthy child.
5. Speaking of names, any favorites for this one?
Of course! This is Lindsay we're talking about! But it's too early to share.
6. Do you like your doctor?
Yes! After scheduling an appointment with my former doctor, I had a minor crisis over how much I really didn't feel comfortable seeing him. Luckily, the crisis occurred while word was being spread over my neighborhood parents Yahoo group about this fabulous local doctor. He was accepting new patients, as well as my insurance, so I got myself an appointment. That initial visit confirmed all the rave reviews I'd heard. My new doctor is an older Egyptian man with gentle bedside manners. The other doctor and nurse practitioner at the practice, whom I've also seen, are just as wonderful. In fact, everyone at that office is great -- even the receptionists, which is an unusual thing in Brooklyn, I've noticed. If I could just convince Garrett that my appointments are for me and not him, thus lessening the tears considerably, the whole situation would be perfect.
7. Have you had any bizarre cravings or weird dreams?
Weird dreams? Yes, but that's not so unusual for me. As for cravings, yes, yes, YES. With Garrett, I didn't crave much -- just clementine oranges, cottage cheese here and there, and the occasional glass of cold chocolate milk. This time around I'm craving something new (and almost always difficult to find) nearly every day. My latest quest is for cheese curd (bizarre, I know), which I of course cannot find here (where are the dairy farms when you need them?). If the craving is still persisting in a few more weeks, I'm hoping I can satisfy it during my trip to Utah.
8. So I guess it's time for a double stroller, huh?
Not if I can help it. There's no way I can lug a heavy double stroller up and down two flights of stairs on a regular basis, let alone when we brave the subway. Also, they're a little large to squeeze into tiny, narrow NYC storefronts. Garrett will be old enough -- he can walk. I figure that, what with the fact that I'll likely be toting Number Two around in my Ergo carrier for the first few months, Garrett will have until next spring/early summer before he'll officially be booted from the stroller. He'll be nearly three by then -- definitely old enough to be more independent. I realize that this will likely make our excursions shorter and perhaps more whiny, but I'm not going to raise my oldest son to think his mother will always be doing the legwork herself.
9. Are you ready to be a mother of two in New York City?
Yikes! Two children -- in Brooklyn?! And without a car? No, I'm not ready. Not yet anyway. (Baby steps, right?) But there is no denying the strong and surprisingly peaceful feelings late last year that someone was very anxious to join our family.
Am I missing anything? Oh, probably. But stick around for a few more months, and I'm sure everything will be covered.
15 comments:
Thanks for answering all those questions! Again, a very happy congratulations and here's hoping the sickness goes away soon, really soon.
Hope to see you when you come to visit! Oh, and I think having nice people at a doctor's office is a rarity anywhere (ok, maybe I just have had too many bad experiences).
I know you don't want to give out your address (of course) but if you are having a girl, wouldn't it be fun to have a blog baby shower?
Thanks for answering all of our spoken and unspoken questions. You are fantastic--you know that, right?
I am so excited for you! As crazy as it seems, especially after my very difficult pregnancy, I am a little jealous of you right now! But not jealous enough to get pregnant again so soon!! So I will happily live vicariously through your pregnancy for now :)
So sorry you're not feeling well! Feel better soon!
First of all (since I haven't had a chance to read your blog recently): Congratulations! That is exciting that you are expecting again! I am sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. That is no fun. Good luck with your weird cravings and I hope you start feeling better soon.
So exciting! I was having such a flashback to the first days of having both kids this morning while I was watching a mommy wrangle her toddler and newborn. It's for sure an adjustment but it's a good one for everyone involved.
Also, double strollers are just...meh. I AGONIZED over whether we needed one, which kind to get, how much money to invest, blah blah. And.... we've used it a few times that it mattered. Disneyland, airports by myself, etc. But really, Kennedy prefers to be worn in the sling and Patrick prefers walking a majority of the time. So, even though our day to day stroller use probably looks quite different, you can probably get by. One idea would be to buy a second (cheap!) umbrella stroller for only the longest of long excursions where there will be two adults to push anyway.
I'm guessig it's a girl. My two pregnancies were completely different. It's going to be so much fun for Garrett to have a sibling so close!
It is rather hilarious. A Lindsay in my ward announced that she was pregnant on her blog on the same day as you, and she is due the exact same day...
http://sethandlindsaygonzalez.blogspot.com/2009/02/yep-its-that-news.html
isn't that funny?
Oh, Lindsay, I'm so excited for you! I'm sorry that you've felt so yucky, but the cravings sound interesting. Squeaky cheese, huh? Hehe.
You would think you would be able to find anything you're craving in NY! Guess not.
Sorry you're feeling yucky... it's no fun, but I hope you will find some relief heading into trimester two!
Let me know when you're heading out here! I'm sure Andrew would love to see Garrett... he always loves watching him on the computer!
How very exciting to be getting ready for #2!!! I am so happy for you! Congrats! I'm sure the pregnancy will get better with time. Hopefully the blech-ness will not last more than the first trimester. I hope Garrett does well too. (Personally, I am hoping for a girl for you).
Sounds like you are plenty prepared to be a mother of two in NYC! I will admit, I had some of those questions in my mind for you too - I guess we can just talk more about them when you are here!
I'm glad you answered all these questions. There all of the ones I would have asked if I had taken the time and energy to email you back. Congrats again!
Post a Comment