When we moved here and started buying groceries, we noticed something a little odd stamped on the milk cartons: a standard expiration date and a NYC expiration date, which was usually dated a few days sooner. (The above carton from our fridge, in case the print is too small to read, says "FEB 26, IN NYC FEB 23.") I had always assumed that this was because the city's electricity was generated on a lower wattage to, I don't know, prevent blackouts or something. This city is, after all, pretty packed full of electricity-using people. (Also, no matter how cold I set our freezer and fridge, our ice cream never stays frozen and our produce seems to go bad almost instantly, leading me to wonder further about a lower wattage.)
While I suppose the lower wattage theory might possibly still be true, I did a little research today to solve the milk mystery, and it had nothing to do with wattage and everything to do with the unique quirks of New York City.
Gothamist reports that, according to the New York Times:
New York City is the only place in the state and one of relatively few in the country that has its own dating system for fluid milk, which may legally be sold only up to 96 hours after 6 A.M. on the day after pasteurization. The rule is the same for whole, skim or low-fat fortified milk.According to Charles Reisberg, Assistant Commissioner of the Department of Health, the four-day period should allow the consumer three additional days during which the milk will remain in good condition. ''We know that at seven days after pasteurization there is a lessening in quality, even with milk properly refrigerated at 45 degrees,'' he said.
Outside the city limits the processor determines the expiration date.
John Gadd, a spokesman for the City's Department of Health, says that milk shipped to the city is more likely to be left standing unrefrigerated for longer periods of time, both before it reaches store shelves and as it makes the transition from store to home. "It's one of those uniquely New York sorts of things," he said.
Of course, if you purchase your milk at an establishment where there is always someone on hand to accept a milk shipment (thus not leaving the milk unrefrigerated for too long), and you bring it home immediately, as opposed to letting it sit out while you wait for it to be delivered, the standard date might be an okay one to go by. We've noticed that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, and that consequently, when the NYC sell by date is nearing, it's best to check the milk before you chug it.
9 comments:
Do you know, I've never once checked the expiration date on anything I've ever purchased. Hmmm.
Crazy. Do you think there is something wrong with your fridge and freezer or is that how it is for everyone?
I'm an exp. date person, I always look for it and it makes me mad when I can't find it - like on the cheap packs of pudding (already made) is really hard to find.
You've taught me something new :O)
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Jenny, It might just be our fridge, though I'm curious....any of you Brooklynites reading this have a similar problem?
It is probably your fridge. We have never had a problem with our fridge or freezer. Just in case, we bought a fridge thermometer. It almost always reads 38F. If I were you, I would get a thermometer for your fridge and freezer first to know exactly what the temperature reading is and then I would call the landlord. He will either send a repair guy or get you a new fridge. Knowing that you have a baby, he will be cooperative.
Fascinating tidbit. Thanks for sharing!
Interesting. Good to know, I say.
crazy! my hubby is obsessed with ex. dates...he chucks perfectly good food all the time!
Post a Comment