The groundhog might have predicted six more weeks of winter, but, perhaps to prove that even a bleak forecast like that has an end in sight, yesterday Brooklyn decided to sneak in at least one balmy 65-degree day. Knowing this could very possibly be too good to last (which, based on the wind gusts barreling through the streets today, it was, unfortunately), Garrett and I thought it wise to don light jackets while we could and get ourselves to the park pronto.
Garrett is still a little too small for most of the nearby playground equipment. However, there is one park we like to frequent with equipment that is now just his size. He climbed the stairs, turned the wheel, and happily ran back and forth across the bridge like there was no tomorrow. For about an hour, he was the happiest boy in Brooklyn.
Miraculously, his cheerfulness didn't taper when I told him it was time to go home. And he even walked the whole way, holding my hand or pushing his stroller, only stopping occasionally to point out airplanes overhead or bark at dogs out for walks of their own (he does that a lot). Considering that I thought his walk to the bus stop on Sunday (a total of 5 short blocks) a major accomplishment, this much longer walk home from the playground blew any distance he's mastered before right out of the water. We're talking three-and-a-half long avenues (the rough equivalent of about 11 short blocks) without complaining. And then he climbed the two flights of stairs up to our apartment. I was so proud.
I hope Brooklyn can sneak in a few more days like this before the muggy heat of summer melts us to useless puddles of sweat. Garrett and I both had a most pleasant afternoon.
7 comments:
What a fun time ... love playground time!!!
Yeay for all the walking, since we live in the mountains and there's no sidewalk ... no public transportation (NOTHING CITY LIKE) my son is not used to walking at all so when we went to Chile ~ where public transportation is the way to go and you walk everywhere (at least in my hometown you still do) he would walk half a block and said "Hold me ... hold me" (You may not believe this but I thought of you and Garrett as Nicolas and I waited for our bus :D )
What a trooper. Isn't it nice when they're just perpetually happy?! And I too thought of you yesterday as I walked the approx. 110 steps to take out my trash. I hate how far away our dumpster is, but then I thought to myself, "Well, I better not ever complain about that to Lindsay because she has to walk several blocks just to do laundry!"
I'll bet he slept really well after all that walking!
how rude of the weather to so tempt you and tease you!
What a nice day... and walking that far is really good! He'll be ready to walk NY with you with no stroller!
I'm glad you were able to get to the park! I can't wait a few more weeks until we're able to do the same.
What a fun day. The video is so cute! Who doesn't love to run back and forth over those bridges?
I love warm days in the middle of February, giving you hope that winter will, in fact, come to an end. Looks like you two had fun!
Post a Comment