Saturday, November 14, 2009

up way past his bedtime


Last night we rented Up. It was the first time any of us had seen it and we decided to make an evening of it. And Garrett, because we had a pretty strong hunch that he would enjoy the movie as well, was invited to stay up late and watch it, too.

We hurried through dinner, changed into our pajamas, gathered up our favorite blankets, and dimmed the lights. By a quarter after eight we were assuming our most comfortable positions on the couch (Garrett's being reclined upright with his arms behind his blond little head). As I looked at Garrett, entranced by the glow of the opening scenes, I couldn't help but feel like I was breaking some unwritten, yet very important, rule of the necessity to always strictly enforce early toddler bedtimes. But I brushed them aside -- it was the weekend after all, and Garrett, who understands slapstick humor and was laughing at all the right times, was clearly enjoying himself. We were all enjoying ourselves.

I smiled (and, I'll admit, cried, too) through the tender portrayal of Carl and Ellie's life together. Garrett got excited whenever he saw balloons ("Da ba-oon! Da ba-oon!" he'd say, pointing to the screen every few minutes or so). I'm not sure what Blake's favorite part was, but he, like the rest of us, did a healthy amount of laughing. I was surprised that Garrett stayed awake and practically on the edge of his seat for the entire film, and he was surprised that we wouldn't let him watch it twice in a row.

What a great movie! (I think Pixar topped even themselves -- this one is my new favorite.) And what a great evening! It was fun to rent a movie we all, even Garrett (especially Garrett), could enjoy. I'm not going to let my two-year-old go to bed at 10:30 on a regular basis, but the next time I do, I think we'll make popcorn.

15 comments:

Erin Bigler said...

Aw, rules were made to be broken. My kids relax with their arms behind their little blond heads too. It may in fact be what I love most about them.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

This movie is on our "to see" list. We do a family pizza movie night every Friday, and it's fun to break the 'no eating in the Family Room' rule and enjoy each others company. The girls get really bugged when they have birthday parties or ward parties interfering with our movie night.

Garrett sounds so grown up. What a cute boy.

p.s. that mug you left a link for on my blog IS adorable. I love the trays, too

Dave said...

Definitely "DVD worthy."

FoxyJ said...

We're still waiting for that one from the library and I can't wait to see it! Now that our kids are a bit bigger we've started a family movie night on Fridays too; the kids love it because I don't let my school-age daughter watch TV during the week and it's fun to have a night to bend the rules a little.

Peter and Mandy said...

We love that movie too! We're definitely considering adding it to our collection. I love how creative Pixar has been getting to make movies fun for adults and children.

JoEllen said...

We love this movie! Popcorn is a must with movies! We love ours just plain...makes less of a mess in the living room. :)

Bran said...

My favorite part(s) is(are) when the dogs get distracted by squirrels.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I loved this movie, too! What a cozy thing to do on an autumn evening.

Carrie said...

I'm glad you liked the movie. I've heard mixed reviews. Unfortunately when we went to see it, I was out with Eli most of the time. I'll have to rent it and finally get to see it in full. I love the parts I did see and I cried too.

Unknown said...

so fun and so sweet

heath said...

It's always good to break the rules every once in a while. I remember times when my mom would tell me that she was going to keep me home from school for the day so we could spend the day with just the two of us. I knew that wasn't an invitation to skip school whenever I wanted--it was special.

Kristie said...

UP is one of our favorites, an addition to our library (probably for a family Christmas present). I think it's fun to 'break rules' in a governed situation, it makes the time memorable for the kids!

GR82BAMOM said...

Glad you guys had fun. We saw UP for the first time back in early October at a drive-in movie theater after we had gone apple picking that day. We all LOVED it and we knew we would want to buy the DVD. Well, we got it last week and after using the $10 off coupon and when I get the two $5 rebates, it will practically be free. Yay!

AmyJane said...

It was a winner. We went to see it in the theater--I think on our anniversary. I had heard that there were some adult elements (the infertility and obviously death) that Patrick might have questions about so we've been holding out to have him see it on DVD. I'm kind of glad we did. For a Garrett aged kid, I don't know that you'd have to deal with it but I imagine Patrick will have some questions. We need to rent it soon, although I suspect we'll get it from someone for Christmas so maybe we'll just hold out.

cherry said...

Just watched it for the first time last night while i was relaxin...the kids saw it already...and alan was working..can't stop laughing and crying too...