Tuesday, November 03, 2009

reflux, take two

The last several days have been particularly difficult for me. Added to a growing pile of minor problems and annoyances was the blatantly obvious fact that Caleb's crying had escalated. I didn't think it was possible for a baby to scream and cry more than he already did, but over the weekend I was proven oh so very wrong. Consequently I have not been sleeping much, and when I am able to nod off, my rest has been fitful.

Yesterday I just couldn't take it any more, and, assuming the culprit was the reflux he was diagnosed with (but not yet treated for) at his appointment last week, I took him to the doctor. Caleb put on quite a show as he was being examined, so there was little question that something was hurting him. It might be reflux, it might not. But for now that is what we are going to treat. The doctor prescribed an antacid, gave us some formula thickened with rice starch to try, and told me to bring him back if things don't improve in the next few days.

We haven't tried the formula yet (I'm a little nervous to get him hooked on something I'm not sure I'd be able to afford), but he's had three doses of the antacid and already it seems to be working. I know we're not out of the water yet, but can I just tell you how much nicer it is to have a baby who spends his down time smiling instead of screaming?

Acid reflux is harder than I thought to recognize. When Garrett was diagnosed with and treated for reflux at 3 1/2 months, I told myself that with my subsequent children, I'd be on the lookout for similar symptoms so that they could be dealt with sooner. Unfortunately Caleb's symptoms, though somewhat similar, were also different than Garrett's. For example, unlike his brother, Caleb has had no trouble whatsoever with eating. I thought that a baby with reflux would always writhe in pain as he ate. Not so apparently. Caleb inhales his food, though I have noticed recently that he hadn't been as content once he was finished and full. That probably was a sign I should have taken into consideration. I'm not sure I should have put up with Caleb's crying for quite so long as I did, but at the same time, it is rather difficult to know when the crying means reflux or if it's something as simple as an ultra sensitive, colicky baby. So for the future, I thought I'd compile a short list of symptoms I've noticed in both Garrett and Caleb that ultimately led to a diagnosis of reflux:
  • lots and lots of crying
  • spitting up (though this isn't always as obvious -- Garrett had "silent reflux," which meant that the food was coming back up, just not up far enough to come out of his mouth)
  • difficulty eating
  • discontent and fussiness after feeding
  • lots and lots of crying
  • constantly wanting to be held, rocked, bounced, and "sh"ed
  • more crying
  • and screaming
  • occasional gasps for breath or the sound of the baby choking on air. I'm assuming this is the sound of food coming back up the esophagus.
  • crying
  • crying
  • crying
Of course, I'm told that reflux peaks by around 4 months of age, so it might not be something that can be caught and stopped at a very early age. (Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better after the guilt trip the doctor's tone sent me on for not bringing Caleb in sooner.)

These have been dark, dark days, my friends, and I hope they're just about over. I'm looking forward to actually being able to enjoy this sweet baby I brought into the world.

11 comments:

Jenny P. said...

I so hope the medicine works! I know it was a lifesaver for my nephew. Here's to some happy baby time!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry it's been hard. I know how it is! My Lindsay's reflux story was very similar.
I hope you get some sleep.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

That sounds exactly like Dean but it didn't even cross my mind to take him to the doctor. I just figured he was a fussy/colicky baby. It did get much better around 4 months.

AmyJane said...

We did a little time on the reflux meds with Kennedy but hers was NEVER that bad. Patrick, on the other hand, well that boy had him some COLIC. I'm kind of living in fear of this new baby's newborn days. It could be great or it could be crap. And considering how "dark" these early pregnancy days have been, oh, well let's just hope I recover emotionally before I have to deal with a rough newborn period.
I hope things continue to improve. Hang in there.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I'm so sorry! I think the worst thing about having a newborn is that every decision you face is approached under a cloud of sleeplessness and exhaustion. Add the fact that all babies are different and they don't come with instructions, and it's just sort of a miracle that any of them turn into adorable giggling six-month-olds. Hang in there! You can do it!

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Your brother did not stop crying for six months. That's why his temporary bedroom was in the closet downstairs. We needed a little sleep too. I hope your relief comes soon. We never did take him to the doctor for it. Hopefully the medication will help make your story turn out better than ours.

Dave said...

PS - regarding comment above: He still turned out to be a pretty great kid, and even better husband and father, and as I recall, your good brother and friend.

heath said...

No fun! Best of luck to you and your little one.

Sarah Kay said...

Yikes, Linds. Hope things get better. My thoughts and prayers are with all of yous.

Desmama said...

Oh, how I wish I could come help you for even just a few hours so you could rest. I'm glad the antacids are starting to help--I hope they continue to. In the meantime, I will be thinking of you and praying for your relief. Don't feel guilty about not bringing the baby in sooner--you did the best you could. It's such a dicey game sometimes. *Hugs*