
If you have spent any time recently tuned into either PBS or Google's homepage, you probably know that this month Sesame Street is celebrating its 40th birthday. The Brooklyn Public Library system is observing the anniversary, and Garrett and I have joined in on the fun.
On Monday we stopped by our local branch to sign Garrett up for his very own (and very first) limited edition Elmo library card. With it we checked out the classic book The Monster at the End of this Book.

On Wednesday, after Story Time, we stopped by a display of Sesame Street DVDs in the children's department and picked up a couple of Sesame Street: Old School DVDs. Watching them with Garrett only convinces me further that the Sesame Street I grew up watching was far better than the Sesame Street he watches today.
And today my friend Emily and I took our children up to the Central Branch of the Brooklyn Library to see their Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street exhibit. It was pretty cool, in part because of the pleasant childhood memories the memorabilia evoked as we browsed the displays, but mostly because there were actual muppets showcased in the foyers -- Grover, Cookie Monster, Bert and Ernie, Prairie Dawn, among others.
It might lead to a Sesame Street overdose, but maybe later Garrett and I will sit down and watch some classic clips. Some things, I think, are worth the risk.
12 comments:
Last night we read a book about Cookie Monster ... Nico was asking me to make the voice like it.
We love Sesame Street. Actually I have a baby Elmo in my car right now, I'm hoping it helps with the shot he's getting today.
Fun! I miss Sesame Street. Except for that darn Elmo song...
You're living on the edge. :)
His own library card! That's a big step. Little Garrett is growing up.
I loved Sesame Street as a kid. But it hasn't been the same since Joe Raposo died.
Sesame Street used to be one of my favoritist shows - you know, before they went all PC and health conscious. Love the Elmo card and the exhibits - that looks like fun.
The Monster at the End of this Book is an all time favorite! I can still hear my mom doing the voices and me and my brothers laughing our heads off. Ahh...I love Sesame Street!
I had forgotten about The Monster at the end of this Book. I loved it! I will have to go out and find it now.
We are jealous! We love Sesame Street. We have two "Old School" sets that we watch all the time. I think they are much better than the ones airing now. Hey, if you by chance happen upon "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree," will you pick it up for us? That was my siblings' and my all-time favorite! We used to make my dad read it over and over again because he did such fun voices.
I love that book! We've been having fun looking at the different google pictures. Our favorite was cookie monster.
How fun! You are such a delightful mother!
Lindsay I love the picture of Caleb buried in the blankets. Also, Ava and I are both jealous of the Sesame Street exhibit at the library and the official Elmo library card. But, I guess it makes sense that the exhibit is in Brooklyn, because from there, everyone can tell you how to get to Sesame Street. :)
I have never read the monster at the end of this book, but McKinley came home from school raving about how funny it was. I will have to find it.
Post a Comment