31. In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith
32. Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith
33. The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith
34. The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith
35. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith
And I'm not sure what else to say about them that I haven't said already. Except to maybe say again that they were more than worth the time it took to work my way through every book. Seriously. Go read them and find out for yourself.
The final book, Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, had one passage that I thought was worth sharing. At this particular point in the story, Mma Ramotswe has just been pondering what she hopes Clovis Andersen, author of Principles of Private Detection, would include in an updated edition of his book.
"But where was he, this Clovis Andersen, who knew so much about private detection? Somewhere in America, she imagined, because he sometimes mentioned famous cases in American cities that sounded so exotic to her ears that she wondered whether they really could exist. Where was this place called Muncie, Indiana? Or Odgen, Utah? Or, most intriguing of all, this town called Mobile, Alabama? Did that town move from place to place, as the name suggested? What happened there? Would they have heard of red bush tea, she wondered. Would they have heard of Gaborone?"
And you wonder why I loved these books. Ha!
5 comments:
I love them as well. Any book that can make me laugh out loud at one moment and make me ponder for a while a few pages later is a winner.
Yes, I know from experience that Muncie and Ogden are very exotic. :)
I am with the Queen on this one...
Too funny!
Looks like you need to move to Mobile next, I guess.
I really loved the first one. Raved about it. I might need to try the next one. She is such a lovable character.
That's weird that she mentions those particular towns...Muncie? I must read them!
Post a Comment