Thursday, May 28, 2009

this week at our house

Except for one rather dramatic incident the other night, this last week has not been too exciting. Busy, yes, but not wildly thrilling. But for those who care to know what we've been up to, I'll dish, beginning with the drama...

The Fat Lip
On Tuesday night, Garrett was running from his bedroom to the living room when he tripped over his own feet and fell, sending his lower teeth through his upper lip. Of course there was a flood of tears and blood everywhere, but since this sort of accident is a regular occurrence for Garrett, I didn't think much of it as I cleaned up the mess. As I worked to stop the bleeding, however, I realized that this mouth injury was worse than any other he'd incurred. Even so, because I was able to quickly stop the bleeding and shortly thereafter his happy personality resurfaced, I decided that stitches probably weren't necessary. A while later, as his lip swelled to more than double in size and peeks inside his upper lip led me to wonder if I was looking at a battle ground and not the inside of my boy's mouth, I began to question that judgment a little. He was acting fine, though, so I sent him to bed with a dose of Tylenol and hoped things would look better in the morning. On Wednesday, after he woke up, his lip looked like this:


And while the wounds seem to be healing and today his lip is a little less swollen, the looks of the inside of his mouth are almost more than I can stomach. If Garrett's purpose as a toddler is to occasionally freak me out, he's definitely doing a good job.

Memorial Day
But let's talk about happier moments, like Memorial Day. The first half of the holiday weekend pretty near wore me out, so we took Monday slow, filling the morning and the first part of the afternoon taking care of upkeep around the house. In the afternoon, we walked over the park, which we all, especially Garrett, enjoyed.


The Baby Quilt
Yesterday I finished the quilt top for Number Two's baby blanket.


The borders nearly did me in, they were so complicated to assemble (to look at it, you wouldn't think they would be, but let me assure you: they were). The final corner ended up being off by about 1/4 inch, which is sad, but I'll survive. As soon as I find a box to package it in, I'll be sending it off to my sister, Katie, who has connections with a quilting machine. All that will be left then is the binding, which Katie has just offered to do for me. I think I will be taking her up on that. When it's completed, I'll post more pictures.

And Speaking of Blankets...
Now that we own bunk beds, the quest is on for twin-sized bedding. Blake and I have been scouring both stores in the neighborhood and our good friend, The Internet, for bedding in our budget. There's not a lot out there that we both like and can afford, but I came across this set last night that, out of all I've seen so far (which is a lot), is my favorite. There are a few more places I'd like to check, but hopefully we'll be able to make a decision soon. I'm anxious to get the boys' room finished.

Before I sign off, I need a little guidance from my experienced readers. As if searching for bedding wasn't enough of a challenge, let's talk about mattress pads. Obviously they are important, especially for a toddler. My options are vast -- from your basic all-cotton pads, to cotton-based waterproof pads, to protective plastic coverings, and all the organic stuff in between -- and I don't know which is the wisest to choose. Any thoughts?

17 comments:

Gillian said...

I am loving the quilt. I am working on one for Lucy.

As for mattress pads, I got one at Target that is a cotton waterproof pad. I have loved it. It is soft, washes well and really is waterproof. This surprised me because it doesn't have the plastic feel and doesn't make the noise when you lay on it. If I remember it wasn't that expensive(under $20).

Linda Stewart said...

Check out the Hometrends Delux Waterproof Mattress Pads at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10747213

I purchased one for my grandsons bed and it's been the best investment thus far for saving a mattress from the fate of what toddlers can do!

Jenny P. said...

I bought mattress pads from the mattress store when I bought new beds for the twins. They were a little more expensive... I think 40 dollars or so, but they work really well and they don't get "hot". I had another one that I bought at Walmart or somewhere and Jordan would literally sweat like crazy. the ones that I use now have a terry cloth top and the underside is made from polyurethane. I checked to see if the brand name was on the tag, and it wasn't. Which I could be more specific. :)

Oh the fat lip.. once Lucy fell and knocked her tooth all the way up into her gum. Oh it was awful. Mouth injuries bleed SO much!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Love the quilt, you fancy seamstress!

My friend has three boys and she just got denim quilts for her sons' beds. Then, she makes pillowcases, throw pillows, and accessories as her sons change and grow (monkeys for one, red plaid for another, camo for the oldest) and it's very cute. I always thought if I had a boy, I'd go with that.

As far as the mattress pads go, I say go for the cotton waterproof ones. That's what we have, and we like them.

Janetta said...

Darling quilt. Sorry about G's lip, ouch!

nateandrebecca said...

Ouch! Hope Garret's injuries heal quickly. And good job on the quilt; it looks nice.

Sarah said...

Love the quilt.

We just have normal mattress pads...cotton? waterproof?

I made Abel a denim duvet cover (tan on the back side) and it's been nice b/c it matches most everything. And then I can make one for Matthew when he's in the bunk bed.

Good luck with bedding...I think it's hard to find something you really like without busting the bank.

Wendy said...

Colton has a denim duvet cover too. I love it's versatility and it just looks better as it washes and wears.

I love your quilt!

We just have regular mattress pads - nothing special but the seem to work fine.

goddessdivine said...

Poor Garrett. I bet you're more frightened than he is about the whole thing.

Amy F. P. said...

Beautiful quilt. And I love the bedding you picked out. Very cute and very you.

Erin Bigler said...

Aw, sad fat lip. Hope he's looking like his handsome old self soon.

We just bought waterproof mattress pads and Target and they work well. We've never used pull ups or any kind of training pants so the first few nights of potty training can get a little soggy. The mattresses seem to be holding up though.

Also, I noticed Target has some cute new robot bedding that was pretty cheap--course it's very cool that the set you found is organic.

Great job with the quilt!

Lindsay said...

Thank you for your mattress pad advice! The waterproof cotton pads sound like a good way to go. I'd been curious to know whether or not they actually worked.

Also, thank you for your kind compliments on my quilt. It's not without its novice flaws, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out so far. I'm excited to see it finished.

Emily said...

Hey the quilt top turned out great! Can't wait to see the finished product in person...with a baby wrapped in it. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, impressive quilt! What a lucky baby!

I know nothing about mattress pads. I don't even have one. I hope that helps, but I doubt it.

Peter and Mandy said...

I always had a cotton water proof mattress pad. I never noticed it until my mom told me when I was like 20. My room was always the guest room when people visited. My mom says she puts waterproof mattress pads on every bed, no matter the age. It really saves the mattress.

Carrie said...

Lindsay: I was at our local Walmart the other day and I found that exact set of sheets for $25 each! I was tempted to buy them for you and then give them to you when I come to New York in August. What do you think?

Carrie said...

Oh, if you are interested you can email me talldarkeyes@gmail.com