Thursday, May 21, 2009

taking stork

Perhaps the nesting instinct is beginning to hit me, or perhaps I'm still just in spring cleaning mode, but whatever the reason, my mind has lately been taking stock of the things we'll need to have on hand for the baby. Since we've done this once before with Garrett, we not only have most of the necessary items already, but I also have an idea of the supplies I particularly liked which we'll need to replenish. Of course, I fully realize that some things on my list either won't apply to this baby for personality reasons, or some things just might change altogether (for example, nursing might actually work this time around) so while the items listed below have been useful in the past, they might not be for Number Two, and I am prepared to adapt and change as required.

But enough intro. Here is what I plan to have ready for Number Two's arrival and early life with us.

Feeding
  • Bottles - I'm a big fan of the simple glass bottles that Evenflo makes. They're nothing fancy, but they do the job, and they last a lot longer than plastic bottles do. I buy them in both the 4 oz and 8 oz sizes. As far as nipples go, I like the most basic silicone ones that you can get. Store brands, like Target's, work just fine.
  • Cleaning - To clean those narrow-necked bottles, you need a bottle brush. We don't have a dishwasher, so it's especially crucial for us, but I think it's handy to have one around even if you're not washing them by hand. I've tried several brands, but have had the best luck with those made by Munchkin, both the basic and the deluxe.
  • Formula - I read somewhere once that, so long as your baby can tolerate it, it really doesn't matter what brand you buy, that since all formulas are government regulated, you should just find the cheapest one available and run with it. This certainly was the case with Garrett, who happily downed both the Target and Costco equivalents of your basic Similac and Enfamil formulas.
  • Burp Cloths - You can buy cutesie cloths, if that suits your tastes, but I found that I preferred using your basic prefold cloth diapers.
Diapering
  • Diapers - Cost just about always drove me to my choices, and for this reason I liked both Luvs and Costco's Kirkland brand. I've never had problems with leaks, and there have been no complaints from the kid wearing them. When I buy Luv's, I order them from Diapers.com, since it's the easiest way to get them to my car-less self. I buy Kirkland's when I take trips to Costco with my friend.
  • Wipes - I'm not picky, so again price is the determining factor. When I pick up diapers at Costco, I'll also pick up a box of their Kirkland baby wipes.
  • Disposal - We tried the Diaper Genie II, but it was too expensive to maintain the refills, and, if you want my honest opinion, pretty disgusting. If I didn't live on the third floor of my building, I'd just take the stinky ones outside stat. As it is, though, we've had to find a compromise, and I'm quite happy with what we've figured out. Wet diapers just go straight to the kitchen trash can. Poopy ones get tossed inside a Sassy Scented Diaper Sack first, and then go to the kitchen trash can. Those sacks contain the smell remarkably well until it's time to take the garbage out every two days or so.
  • Rashes - I've tried samples of a variety of different diaper rash creams, but my favorite by far is A+D Ointment. It not only heals the sores quicker, it smells nice, too.
Bath
  • Soap - I like Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Wash. When the baby is small and doesn't have much hair, I use it as a shampoo as well.
  • Shampoo - Still a fan of Johnson's, this time it's the No More Tears Baby Shampoo. It really, truly is super gentle. Garrett's opinion of shampoos changed completely when we started using this. He actually looks forward to having the water dumped on his head, and I take that as a good sign.
  • Powder - This is just because I like the feel and smell. Nothing says "baby" to me more than your basic white talcum powder after a bath.
  • Towels & Washcloths - I used a hooded baby towel for the first few months, but soon graduated to a regular adult-sized towel. As long as it's terry cloth, it's fine with me. My favorite baby washcloths are the ones Gerber makes. They're small, so they work great for washing the baby in the tub, but they also come in handy when wiping little noses during cold season.
Outings
  • Stroller - I am head over heels in love with our Maclaren. It's lightweight and compact and can certainly take the beating of daily use in the city (I only wish I knew how many miles we've put on ours). Right now we have the bare-bones Volo, but we're seriously considering upgrading in the next few months to the Triumph, which can be used with the baby sooner because the seat reclines. And while we're at it, I'd make sure to invest in a raincover. I'm using a generic brand now, and while it does the job, it's bulky and hard to store. I'm told that you can get last year's stroller models pretty cheap new on eBay, which certainly eases the strain on the pocketbook. But seriously, these puppies are worth every penny.
  • Infant Carrier - When Garrett was about 6 months old, I discovered the Ergo carrier. I haven't looked back since. The Snugli worked great while he was tiny, but as he grew, so did the strain on my back. I've already invested in a new infant insert so I can use my Ergo to sport Number Two. I'm not an "attachment parenting" devotee," but I'm nonetheless devoted to this carrier if only for practical purposes of life in the city.
  • Diaper Bag - I have not yet found a diaper bag that I both love and which suits my life on foot. Lately I've been using a backpack, but I'll use whatever is handiest for the moment. Whatever I tote, though, must be small. I've had to learn to only take with me the absolute essentials because I can physically only carry so much.
  • Sunscreen - Genetically speaking, this is a must-have in summer. I'm not picky as to brand, so long as the SPF is high enough. With Garrett I've been using Coppertone WaterBabies, and it works fine enough.
  • Carseat - Obviously this is an essential. For those paying attention, I'm adding to this post after its initial publication. I suppose that not having a car helped let it slip from my mind. But rest assured, we do have one, and do use it on those outings when a friend is giving us a ride somewhere.
Sleeping & Comfort
  • Crib - Obviously we have a crib, mattress, and all the necessary bedding. I personally see no need for bedding sets; all we've done is buy generic brand sheets and coordinating bumper pad to match the adorable baby quilt my sister sewed, and it's worked fantastically.
  • Binky - Even though the weaning process can be painful (we're currently in the process of weaning Garrett from his, which I'll post on later), I'm still an advocate of allowing babies to suck. And if that means on a binky, then so be it. I have some new ones tucked away for Number Two.
  • Silky Blanket - This was a lifesaver with Garrett -- when he got cranky and it was hot, we'd just strip him down to his diaper and wrap him in the silky side of his blanket. Consequently, he is completely attached to his, and if he didn't already look so much like Charlie Brown, I'd call him Linus. I'm currently on the hunt for one, preferrably both in green and completely silky on one side (not just along the edges), for Number Two. We'll see if I can find one that meets these criteria.
  • Boppy Pillow - This is just nice to have for a variety of reasons. They're great for supporting tired arms, for an enclosed area a newborn can sleep in, and for propping them up as they learn to sit.
  • Swing - Not a necessity for everyone, including us, but they sure are nice to have. We bought one that plugs into the wall to save money on batteries, and there have been no regrets with that decision.
In the Medicine Cabinet
  • Thermometer - A basic digital thermometer is, in my opinion, absolutely crucial. In infants, I prefer taking a rectal reading, and for that you'd also need petroleum jelly to use as a lubricant.
  • Pain Reliever - I'm a believer in Infant's Tylenol. Actually, I'm more of a believer in the store brand equivalent of Infant's Tylenol, but I'm penny-pinching, so you should expect as much. At any rate, I always always always have plenty on hand.
  • Glycerin Suppositories - Constipation was long an issue with Garrett, especially as he adapted to new foods. These, as well as pear juice, I've learned are just good to keep on hand.
Playtime
  • Simple Toys - Babies don't need anything extravagent, in my opinion. Some of my personal faves include linking rings and rattles that are easy to hold. As they get older, and especially if they're boys, which mine are, cars and balls are a must.
  • Board Books - You just can't go wrong here. Period.
Clothing
  • Playclothes - Buy them cheap and accept hand-me-downs when they're offered. That's my philosophy, anyway. Kids clothes, and even baby clothes, can wear out quickly. I need to make sure, too, that the drawers are stocked with seasonally appropriate clothes. This is always the hardest part for me -- keeping up with both my baby's growth and the changing seasons.
  • Detergents & Stain Remover - Tide has always worked just fine for us, so we didn't even bother with the gentler, baby-focused laundry detergents. I will, however, put in a plug for keeping on hand a good stain remover. From baby spit up to grass stains, I use it often. My favorite is Fels Naptha.
Whew! Is this a long enough list for you? And I'm sure I've left some things off by accident. But now that you know what I like, I'm curious: What baby supplies do you like to stock up on?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love talking about baby stuff! It seriously sounds like you've got everything covered. I've heard you can get silicone sleeves to go around your glass bottles if you happen to be concerned about them breaking. They come in pretty colors, too.

I was going to get the infant insert for my Ergo, but ended up getting a Moby wrap instead. I was really pleased with it. It's super comfortable to wear, it can be used for many different kinds of carries (cradle, tummy to tummy, kangaroo (facing in or out), hip, back, etc.), and my newborn really liked being all swaddled up in it. It's pretty affordable, too. We still use ours sometimes, even though she's fourteen months now. So, it's a good option if you end up not digging the Ergo insert.

Lindsay said...

Huh. I didn't know they made any sort of protective covering for glass bottles. These Evenflo ones, though, are pretty tough. My mom still has her supply intact from most of her babies, which, I don't know, but that's pretty impressive. Seriously, they're tough.

I've heard good things about the Moby wrap. Did someone have to teach you how to do it, or was it pretty self-explanatory? There are some carriers out there that I just can't figure out.

Peter and Mandy said...

Not having kids I always find myself walking down the baby aisle of any store. A good friend of ours just had a baby a couple days ago and I have already gotten this baby well outfitted. I can't help it, things just jump into my basket. I always shop the clearance rack too. I told our friends when shopping for bridal registry stuff I really didn't have too much of an opinion on what we got, but when it comes time to shop for a baby registry, I have it all figured out. Our kids are going to like winnie the pooh! I bought our friends huggies supreme diapers only because they have pooh on the diapers :) And the wipes had pooh on the box too. They jumped into the basket too! :)

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Whew--just reading your list wore me out. I guess it reinforces the fact that we are definitely done having babies!
If nursing does work out, I think Lansinoh is excellent. It works like A&D Ointment for diaper rashes, too.
Wish I could come try out burp cloths and blankets with your new little guy!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I can't imagine having to use a rectal thermometer. I've loved the one second forehead swipe thermometer. We've never had problems with consistent readings. One second! And no having to clean and disinfect and shove it up a bum or in an ear!!!

Anonymous said...

I just looked up bottle covers and it looks like Evenflo actually makes an affordable version. I'm glad the Evenflo bottles are so durable. What a great deal! I once broke a glass I was washing all over the kitchen floor. I thought I had cleaned up all the shards, but later found a couple in my daughter's mouth. It was a low point in my brief mothering career.

The Moby wrap looks complicated, but it's no more difficult than tying your shoes. It just takes a couple tries before you master it. The accompanying instructions are very helpful. I especially like it for air travel, because you can keep popping the baby in and out without re-wrapping. In that sense it's easier than an Ergo for trekking through an airport in a hurry.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and some other supplies I prefer:
-huggies cuddleweave to start. Once they hit size 3, pampers cruisers. I tried almost everything else and nothing worked well for us.
-aquaphor
-PurLan and lansinoh nursing pads
-Target's nursing tanks and sports bras

Jenny said...

I love the prefold diapers so much better than burp cloths!

Carters brand should still make a blankie that is chenille on one side and silky on the other. My son transferred his pacifier attachment to the blue version of this, his little linus blankie. Happy hunting!

I have been taking a mental inventory of the things I need to get ready and I think it's time to actually start doing it now...

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, if you're interested in using a Moby, I'll get you one. Just let me know what color.

Sarah said...

You are WELL on your way to having baby #2. Good luck!

Samantha said...

When I think of all the things babies need/all the things that make life easier with a baby (but they don't necessarily NEED), and when I think about how much our belongings multiplied when we had Zara, I think- how on earth do we fit it all in our apartment, and how on earth will we fit enough for 2 kids?!?!

Carrie said...

I agree about the Moby wrap. I loved it and the instructions are fairly straight forward with lots of pictures.

Erin Bigler said...

Ooooh, I love talking about baby stuff too.

We have serious issues with delicate skin so we use the Burt's Bees Baby Bee skin care/diapering stuff. It smells so delicious!

Weleda Calendula diaper rash creme has been a lifesaver too. (We buy all this stuff from diapers.com--did you know they carry Kirkland brand wipes? Not sure about the diapers though.)

The only other Bigler "must have" are the Carter's Snugglies (think miniature fleece and satin blankies). We have about 55 of them laying around the house at all times. Even the Target and Walmart knock-offs can be kind of pricey (about $10)but I often find them at Marshall's and TJ Maxx for a couple of bucks.

Kristi said...

My favorite bum cream (recommended by my pediatrician) is Bag Balm, used for treating cow's udders. I found it at Walgreens. It's awesome. Kate's bum's super sensitive - we had to use this stuff and Pampers sensitive wipes to keep her from breaking out in rashes.

We found that putting a waterproof pad across our laps (and, depending on the location, on the floor, too)to feed and burp Kate kept us, the couch, and her a lot cleaner. It saved me from doing a lot of laundry.

I love the ultimate crib sheet. It makes it easy to change the bed in the middle of the night when the girl's sick.

Along the same lines, I like sheet savers for when they're too little to really move around the crib too much and just drool or spit up in one place.

I like white things because they can be bleached.

amanda said...

Your list is much longer than mine, Lindsay! It goes like this: bassinet/crib, onesies/newborn sleepers, diapers/wipes (Huggies and Kirkland brand), care kit (with Tylenol, nail clipper and digital thermometer), Burt's Bees baby bath kit (which we are still using) and blankets. I thought I needed more than this, but this covered all the bases for us! The boppy and bouncer were really nice to have, but I didn't use the boppy until Henry was almost sitting up, and Henry preferred being held to the bouncer. He hated the sling I tried out. I would like to try a Moby next time because they look so comfortable for baby and mom.

Krysta said...

Sounds like you and I think a lot alike! Ready for this novel I am about to write?? :)

I love the same munchkin bottle brush, I feed Ashe Kirkland Formula, and use Kirkland diapers and wipes. I may try your sassy sack idea. My boys use the same sunblock, too.

I have the same philosophy with baby bedding, and toys...Why spend a ton of money on things they they really could care less about? I bought my boys cute, cheap bedding from Target, that probably ended up costing me less than $50 per crib, and it is darling, I think!

And I am a huge boppy fan, I have used it every single day since my boys came home for a variety of reasons, from breastfeeding, to bottle feeding, to propping them up, to tummy time. LOVE THE BOPPY! And I am a pacifier advocate, too.

I an curious about the carrier you use...with twins, I HAVE to have a carrier if I am going to get any grocery shopping done, and my boys are already so heavy that my back kills if I carry them too long.

The only things that are really different for me, is that I use the free clear laundry detergent on their clothes, because both my boys are prone to eczema, and the free detergent seems to help. And also, I really like the Aveeno eczema baby cream, and the lavender scented bedtime bath products, and of course, have found that the Walmart or target brand are just as effective at less than half the cost of Johnsons brand!

Oh, and I use the Playtex Vent Air bottles that vent out the bottom of the bottles, because they were recommended for me for Ronan's Gerd. Once I started using them, he stopped vomiting and his gas issues went away!

Claire said...

Wow, that's awesome. I'm definitely going to copy your list for when that time comes! Hope you get feeling better soon.