Tuesday, May 26, 2009

operation: binky be gone

For the last few months I have been growing increasingly disgusted with Garrett's binky habit. Unfortunately, over the same period of time, Garrett had been growing increasingly attached to it. A few days after returning home from our trip to Utah in early April, I decided it was time to cut all ties. I was tired of the drool, the whining when he couldn't find it, and, because he'd gnaw and chew on it more than he'd suck, it was quickly becoming a choking hazard. So we went cold turkey. For all intents and purposes, the binky had been thrown in the trash.

We stuck it out for four sleepless nights and long, exhausting days. And then we couldn't take it anymore. Hindsight makes me realize that, what with the bronchitis he'd caught while we were out of town and the resulting clinginess he developed while he was sick, it was not a good time to take away something so dear to him. So the binky magically reappeared and all was well again with Garrett's world. I did, however, require that, if he was going to have his binky, he could only have it in the crib. Garrett was fine with this stipulation; he'd leave it behind each morning and after his naps. Eventually, though, he'd started to spend more of his days in the crib with his binky than out of it being a normal toddler, and when he nearly completely chewed through another nipple, I knew it was time to try weaning him again.

Last Tuesday morning, after Garrett chucked his binky behind him as I retrieved him from the crib, I took it and hid it away. Naptime rolled around and while I tried to tuck him in, he frantically searched for his binky. I told him once that it must be lost, gave him only his silky blanket (his binky's partner in crime) for comfort, told him to sleep well, and left the room. After that, we didn't use the "B" word anymore. If Garrett asked for it, we pretended to not know what he wanted and would then change the subject. It took him a good hour, and, ultimately, some lullaby music, for him to settle down for that nap. When he awoke a couple hours later, I found him tearing apart the contents of his crib, searching again for his lost binky.

Bedtime that evening was a repeat of that afternoon's performance. Garrett searched and begged for his binky; Blake and I took turns tucking him in, making an extra effort to not talk about what he obviously wanted most. He eventually wore himself out and fell asleep to the lullabies. He awoke once, in the middle of the night, panicked that he didn't have his binky. I went to him, offered him a drink of water (which he accepted), and tucked him back in amid more lullabies. He fell right to sleep (and as he did, I silently praised the miracles that lullaby album was working, which my friend, JoEllen, gave us at Garrett's birth).

Day Two was similar to Day One. By Day Three, however, he started to forget about his binky. He stopped asking for it, and he fell into sleep routines that were much like those of his binky-filled days. By the weekend I was ready to diagnose him as weaned. The true test came on Sunday when, to calm him during Sacrament Meeting, we pulled out his silky blanket. Instead of reaching for the pocket of my bag where his emergency binky used to be stashed, he cuddled into his blanket and settled down.

And now I have a binky-free little boy, and I'm loving every bit of it. We still don't use the "B" word in his presence, and I probably should go find the remaining few that I hid away and just toss them (deep, deep into the garbage can) so that he doesn't accidentally find them and reverse all of our hard work. With time, I'm sure he'll recover completely from his addiction.

Do I regret giving him, and ultimately letting him get hooked on, a binky? Am I planning to give one to Number Two? In answer, no, not a bit, and yes, if he'll take one. That said, however, I would do a few things differently had I but known. Garrett didn't start growing super fond of his binky until he was about 18 months or so. If I had said goodbye to the binkies at the same time I said goodbye to his bottles, it would not have been so difficult a process. But you live and learn, right? And then you do things differently the next time around.

12 comments:

Claudia said...

Yay for Garrett and you two patient parents :) It is a hard process but so rewarding when we get through this very important mile stones.

Congratulations!!

That's right ... you live and learn.

Peter and Mandy said...

Our sister-in-law convinced our niece that the binky would go to the binky fairy because she was a big girl now and didn't really need one anymore. They convinced her that other babies needed binkies and the binky fairy would deliver them...the new baby arrived and the new baby had a binky. Often times we found Ellie with the baby's binky in her mouth, ripped out of the baby's mouth. But she eventually got over it. I love the idea of a binky. It is way better than a thumb in my opinion. Thumbs you can't toss out either.

JoEllen said...

Giving up the binky was hard for us too, and after reading this I'm really glad we did so before 18 months! I too am planning on giving our second one a binky, and I agree that they are a lot easier to give up than thumbs.

Hooray for a binky free house! At least for a few months anyways.

Also, I LOVE that you love that lullaby CD as much as we do.

AmyJane said...

You're brave! Glad it worked out well.
You might recall that I lived on the flip side of this one...Patrick had his (in bed only) until his third birthday. I'll grant you that this was a bit ridiculous but...for this kid, at that time, it was what worked. When he turned one, I thought he needed to keep one when we chucked the bottles; when he was 18 months he was in a very bad place developmentally and needed them; when he was two it was the holidays and we had lots of upcoming travel, when he was 2.5 we had a new baby; blah blah. You get the idea. Somewhere along the way I had read that the best time to get rid of it was before 18 months or after 3 years and decided to stick to that.
I'll be interested to see how I decide to handle things with Kennedy. She hated it as an infant and is now becoming more and more attached since she quit nursing. I can't really imagine taking it away in the next few months so....we'll see.
Anyway, now that I've rambled on....yay, yay, yay for Garrett! I say, anytime you can do it with minimal hassle and drama, good on you!

Sarah said...

Congratulations! We had to wean Tessa but I don't regret giving her one when she was a baby...she really needed it. Abel was never interested which was fine with me. Matthew is following Tessa's path but this time I'm going to start earlier on the weaning. He has a blanket to love so he'll be okay, right?!

vdg family said...

If you could hear inside my head right now you would hear a stirring rendition of "Hail the Conquering Hero." Good job Lindsay!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I was thrilled when at nine months our oldest chucked her binky across the room one day, and never wanted it again. Looking back, I think I should have been a bit more scared at her stubbornness than relieved that the binky was gone. ;)

Good for Garrett and his parents! Now it's on to potty training. No rest for the weary! (I'm completely kidding. You still have a long time before you have to worry about that!)

amanda said...

That's so hard when they are addicted. My sister went through the same thing with her girl at 22 months - she was afraid that the binky was inhibiting her speech, which it was! There have been times when quick soothing would have been nice with Henry, but we have found other ways to sooth him, and he is now finding ways to sooth himself. Overall I am glad he decided the binky wasn't for him.

Katie said...

Good work, mama! That's a hard habit to break!

Carrie said...

Thanks for this post! I have been wondering about weaning our little one off the binky but I truly prize my sleep! Glad to hear that the lullabies worked. I think we will wait until she is a bit old and will be more consolable.

Ashley Thalman said...

Harp is 6 months this coming week and I think I am going to take it away. Will she start to suck her thumb? Will she scream without end?
Shoot.
I am thinking the following-
1. I should throw them away because the MD said it might be a good idea.
2. I should because that kid sitting in front of me talking through his binky made me a little sick.
3. I am a confirmed germophobe

Leslie said...

Yay for Garrett and you! I know I've mentioned this before, but it is so nice for me, that you are doing everything just a few months ahead of me and then blogging about it!! You have inspired me and given me the impetus to try and wean my daughter from the binky-- she'll be 17 months old this week. I really appreciate your words of wisdom-- I mean that. I'll let you know how it goes-- we're going through a little tantrum phase right now-- especially at naptime and bedtime, so I should just do it at all once, I think. We'll see.