Friday, May 08, 2009

filling the summer

Sometimes it feels like the summer of 2009 will be my last summer in the city. As things stand now, it won't be (so don't worry, all you who live vicariously through my adventures here). But in a way, it is a "last summer" of sorts: the last summer I will have as the mother of only one child, the last few months that I will be able to trek around the city in the same way I have been doing. By September I will have a toddler and a newborn, and once I recover from giving birth and am ready to explore the great outdoors again, I have absolutely no idea, when looking at the future from my pregnant and exhausted early May point of view, how I'll ever be brave enough or strong enough to leave my house again. Oh, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Mothers seem to have a knack for solving problems, however daunting the dilemma might be. But still, from where I'm standing now, I see myself as having only a few short months to hurry and do all I can before my time runs out.

So what do I do? I make lists. Lists of things I want and need to do this summer before the baby comes. And then I set about checking things off those lists, because we list-makers know there's very little more satisfying than a to-do item completed and crossed out. Here is a glimpse of a few of my summer to-do lists:

Places in NYC I want to see/visit
Places outside of the city I want/need to visit
  • My aunt and uncle's home in the New Jersey suburbs so I can escape and recover from daily life
  • Southern California in June for my brother-in-law's wedding
  • A Long Island beach
Preparations we need to make for the baby
  • Buy a "big boy bed" for Garrett so the baby can sleep in his crib (we're leaning towards a bunk bed -- we'll have two boys, so it will certainly get used, and while the baby bunks in the crib, an extra bed for visitors can't hurt)
  • Rearrange Garrett's room so we can fit both boys
  • Finish sewing my baby quilt
  • Buy a baby book (I'm leaning toward this one) and a blank journal for Number Two
There's more, I assure you, but because I have a tendency to crowd my lists to the point where they make me both prematurely worn out and a little dizzy, I thought I'd spare you the exhaustion with just a sampling. And now, as soon as it stops raining here already, I can set out and start checking things off.

6 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Some of those things on your list sound like great fun. I wish I were there to help you check them off. We have had some very nice days around here lately, and it's amazing how much easier a to-do list seems with a parting of the rainclouds!

JoEllen said...

We played with the idea of bunk beds and part of me wishes we would have gone that route. I think they're perfect for little brothers and as you mentioned, it's nice to have an "extra" bed handy for visitors.

"Getting around" I know is less daunting for me. I have a car and I don't have to haul home everything I buy in my little cart with my toddler and newborn. However, doing some of those daily chores (like grocery shopping and going to the bank, etc) still feels like really unfamiliar territory to me. You're right, moms are problem solvers! I'm sure you'll be cruising around the city, post baby number 2, in no time!!

Claudia said...

My best friend has a toddler and a baby and she has used her double stroller more than she ever thought ... although she lives in a "old time" city in SC so there's plenty of room to stroll not sure that would work on the crowded streets of NYC.

My boy was born in September and I remember the hot and hummed summer to be a long one but of course I was a wale, you have taken care of yourself so well you are much slimmer than I was at that point =) so I'm sure it'll be a better experience.

Love the baby book.

Hope and pray you succeed on your places to see this summer. We need more pics of you pregnant :) You look so cute on the ones I've already seen.

tappingflamingo said...

As a list maker myself, I can relate with having great satisfaction on marking them off. As far as trying to figure out what you are going to do with a newborn and toddler in tow...I remember when I only had two. I had a boy and 17 months and three days later had a girl, and when she was six weeks old we moved to another state. After getting settled in our new place, I got busy learning a new skill--sewing. I sewed everything from clothes to curtains, pillows, table cloths, etc. I never thought I would enjoy sewing, but I did, and I really enjoyed the outcome...

Emily said...

I love a good list. Good luck with yours. Everything changes after #2, but I'm sure it won't be too long before you're feeling adventurous again. In fact, I've found that the sooner you brave leaving the house with two kids (which can seem impossible) the sooner it becomes as easy as it was with one. You can do it!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Ah, welcome back, Ambassador from Plan Land :)