Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I don’t think it would be too far-fetched to say that books make up an overwhelming percentage of who I am. I was very often read to as a child (thanks, Mom!); I spent my summers participating in the library summer reading programs; I spent another summer volunteering at the library; my favorite high school job was in a bookstore; I always have a “free-reading” book with me; I married a fellow book lover; we consequently own more books than shelf space; and I think an enlightened conversation somehow brings in a discussion about books. So, yesterday when Sara requested I compile a list of favorite recent reads, I pretty much jumped on the opportunity. I got a bit carried away, as you can see below. But even so, this list is anything but comprehensive. It includes some recent reads that I’ve enjoyed, as well as a bunch of you-can’t-go-wrong-with-‘em favorites. But I know I’m leaving armfuls of other books I’ve enjoyed off – I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, right? Anyway, thanks, Sara, for the excuse to think about favorite books.


Regional (i.e. Indiana) Favorites:

  • A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel
  • She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel
  • In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd
  • How Dear to My Heart by Emily Kimbrough
  • The Innocents from Indiana by Emily Kimbrough
  • Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough

Poetry I Couldn’t Live Without:

  • The Collected Works of Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • The Collected Works of e. e. cummings
  • The Collected Works of Pablo Neruda
  • Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman
  • Long Ago in Oregon by Claudia Lewis
  • Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle and Other Modern Verse ed. by Stephen Dunning, Edward Lueders, and Hugh Smith
  • Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
  • The Random House Book of Poetry for Children ed. by Jack Prelutsky and Arnold Lobel

You Can’t Go Wrong With Children’s Fiction:

  • I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
  • Out of the Dust by Karen Smith
  • The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace
  • Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
  • Walk Two Moons and Love That Dog by Sharon Creech
  • The Trouble with Jenny’s Ear by Oliver Butterworth
  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
  • Anything by Patricia MacLachlan (especially: Sarah, Plain and Tall; Skylark; Journey; and Baby)
  • Anything by Beverly Cleary (especially: the Ramona series; the Henry Huggins series; Ellen Tebbits; and Otis Spofford)

Not All Non-Fiction is Boring:

  • The Bronte’s: A Life in Letters ed. by Juliet Barker
  • A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
  • The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood
  • The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way by Bill Bryson
  • The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
  • Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher
  • We Interrupt this Broadcast by Joe Garner

Also, Not All Classic Novels Are Boring:

  • Anything by J. D. Salinger (including: Catcher in the Rye; Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenters/Seymour, an Introduction; Franny and Zooey; and Nine Stories)
  • Rebecca by Daphne Du Marier
  • Anything by a Bronte sister (especially: Jane Eyre (Charlotte); Wuthering Heights (Emily); and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne))
  • Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn
  • Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
  • East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  • A Room with a View by E. M. Forster

But I Don’t Just Enjoy “Old” Books:

  • The Von Igelfeld series by Alexander McCall Smith (including: Portuguese Irregular Verbs; The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs; and At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances)
  • The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Personal Life-Long Favorites:

  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
  • The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
  • The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

Happy Reading!

7 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks!!! Guess I'll have to finish up what I'm currently working on and head to the library!

Desmama said...

Oh, what a deadly and lovely list--now I have to read all of these! Is there anything so alluring as a stack of books to be read?

goddessdivine said...

What a couple of geeks you and your husband make ;)

I love books myself, and think well-read people are more well-rounded. I often times have 3-5 books going at once. I tend to read politics, history (that one on the revolution you mentioned sounds interesting), and gospel doctrine. Sadly, the only book on your list that I have read is To Kill a Mockingbird--one of my all-time faves. I guess I tend to stick to non-fiction.

p.s. I love how you categorized them.

Lindsay said...

Desmama - Thanks for commenting, and feel free to keep visiting! :) Yeah, I love having a list of Things I Need To Read. My list keeps getting longer every time I talk to my mom or my fellow reader-friends. So if you, too, ever have any suggestions, I welcome them!

Kristen - That American Revolution book was fascinating. It talked about how the war not only changed the government, but how it changed society and they way people thought and acted on a daily basis. Very interesting. Judging by your interests, I think you'd enjoy it.

Claire said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I added them all to my enormously long "books to read" list. I have been hearing a lot about East of Eden (too lazy to italicize) since that's what our book group read last month. I was out of town so I didn't get to it but they all LOVED it, apparently. Anyhow, thanks for the recommended reads. I'm sure I ran into you at the OPL as a youth, I was there at least once a week participating in their summer reading programs too.

Lindsay said...

Claire - glad to be useful. :) And yes, East of Eden IS wonderful. A little dark at times, but very, very good. Also, I grew up in Provo, so we didn't go to the OPL as often as we went to the Provo library, but I'm sure we've still crossed paths at one time or another, either there or at the MOA. :)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Beautiful, beautiful list. Although I'm now feeling like there are even more books I want to read that I don't have time for. Sigh. Is there a job that lets you read full-time?

Ohyeah! Librarians! Sort of. Yay!

(And also, I just bought a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife. I can hardly wait to get started on it! :^)