Friday, August 31, 2007

Two Cards

Over the course of the last two days, I've acquired two new cards: a Brooklyn Public Library card, and a New York Driver's License. They're both the same size, and they both fit in my wallet, but the process by which I received them couldn't be more different. Here's the breakdown:

Distance Required to Travel to Obtain:
Library Card:
walk 9 blocks
Driver's License: 10 minutes walking plus 35 minutes on the subway

Identification Required in Order to Obtain:

Library Card: proof of new address
Driver's License: Indiana driver's license, social security card, birth certificate, marriage license

Cost to Obtain:
Library Card:
free
Driver's License: $42.50

Amount of Time It Took to Obtain:
Library Card:
5 minutes
Driver's License: 2 hours

Number of Times I Had to Feed, While Standing in Line, a Cranky Baby:
Library Card: 0
Driver's License: 1

What I Can Do With Card Now that It's Been Obtained:
Library Card: check out books, music, and movies for free at the any of the Brooklyn Public Library branches, New York Public Library branches, and Queens Public Library branches, as well as anything I request through Interlibrary Loan
Driver's License: drive my car -- oh wait, I sold it. Never mind.

I don't know, but I think that right now I'm a bigger fan of my new library card than I am of my new driver's license.

And now, not to reduce the awesomeness of my new library card, but after we finally escaped the dregs of the DMV, we walked across the street to Target to buy baby formula (because I'm all about a 35 minute subway ride in order to save $10 a can on formula!). This Target in Brooklyn is different than any Target I've ever been to in that it has multiple floors. What do you do with a shopping cart in a store with more than one level? Why, you put it on an escalator, of course!

This is a picture, taken by my good friend, The Internet, of the Target in north Brooklyn we were at this afternoon. Are you with me in thinking that this is pretty darn cool? Ah, the perks of multi-level city life!

8 comments:

goddessdivine said...

ok, that Target is the coolest thing ever!

Another plus for the library card: no picture necessary.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is really cool...i'll have to show ry cause he would really appreciate it...i do not know how you do it...

FoxyJ said...

Our Target in Seattle is the same way and I love the little escalator for carts. Unfortunately I usually have a kid in the cart so we have to take the elevator, but it's still cool.

jeanine said...

That Target is probably the coolest thing ever!

amanda said...

They had those at most stores in Korea, it's cool that they work mostly by magnetism. if there's anything that explains the look of any large city, it's that if you can't build out anymore, you have to build up!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Ohmygoodness...

I saw the picture with the cart escalators and my mouth. Literally. Fell open. And all I could do was whisper, "Soooo cooool."

I am in awe.

Also, libraries (and thus necessarily their cards) ROCK.

Lippy said...

It's so fun for me to sit and live the experience through your eyes. I'm a native, and I lose sight of how it can be a wonderful (if slightly overwhelming) initial experience! Those long rides on subways will not seem so formidable in the very near future. It'll be good for you to have this record to look back on once you're a "veteran". Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Yay for libraries! Glad you're taking advantage of baby storytimes, they'll be lots of fun! :)