Thursday, August 30, 2007

For Garrett, To Read When He's Older

Dear Garrett,

Today you are two months old! I know you've had a rough little life already, what with the move from Muncie, where you were born, to Brooklyn, where you'll grow up (and where you could very well pick up the accent once you learn to talk!), and the colic that is apparently tearing up your tiny insides and making you miserable. I'm not sure who your colicky nature is worse for: you or me, but I want you to know that I've done everything I can think of to help you, from buying you snazzy ventilated bottles to giving you the occasional dose of gripe water and Mylicon, as well as the hours on end that I've held you tight and close to me as we rocked and listened to lullabies. As much as I hate it, I think that sometimes all I can do is let you cry, which you do during all of your waking hours, and sometimes during your short-lived sleeping hours as well.

But let's not dwell on the awful colic that's making me count the days until you are three months old and ready to outgrow it. Today you are two months old, so let's celebrate that. Here is what we did today:

After you woke up and cried for a while, I got you dressed in an outfit you've just barely grown into. (You're getting so big!) But before I put it on, I let you spend some quality time stripped down to your diaper. You like being naked, and I think, I think, that I caught a glimpse of your very first smile as I tickled your belly. I want you to know that I'm very much looking forward to catching more of your precious smiles!

After you ate and cried a little more, we decided to go on a walk. You like going on walks, all cozy next to me the Snugli. You like being outside. While we were out, I found you a doctor at the pediatricians office just a short way up the street, and as soon as Dad's insurance begins, you'll get to go in for a belated two month appointment, at which point you will likely get your shots, and which you will likely not enjoy.

Later, and this time with the stroller which I somehow managed to carry, along with you, up and down the three narrow flights of stairs in our building, and even though it was getting increasingly hot and muggy, we went to investigate the library. While we were there, I learned that the good librarians of Brooklyn take literacy in babies very seriously, and as such have instated a Baby Storytime, which is held every first and third Monday at 10:30 am. You can be sure, Garrett, that I'll be taking you there!

And speaking of reading, this afternoon, after we both had a glorious little nap in the wake of a cooling breeze from the open window as we lay on the couch, I read Are You My Mother? to you. I'm not sure, given the blank stare on your face throughout the duration of the reading, but I think this is a book you thoroughly enjoy, and for good reason!

This morning, during one of your rare happy, non-teary moments, you enjoyed some tummy time on your Boppy pillow on the living room floor. You were so adorable that I couldn't help but snap a few photos:



Garrett, I love you! It's been a grand two months we've had together, even with all of the colicky tears you and I have both shed. I'm looking forward to many, many more happy months with you. Such good times we'll have!

Love,
Mama

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindsay! You're making this grandma cry! Thanks so much for sharing and making us feel a part of your lives so far away. We love you!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I'm so glad that you have found the local library, and that they do much to encourage reading at a young age.

It's enough to make this librarian-in-training's little heart glow. Indeed it is.

And I hope, hope, hope that poor Garrett's colic lets up very soon indeed. Good luck!

Kristeee said...

What sweet sentiments - little Garrett's a lucky kid to have such a great mommy.

Sounds like you and he will have many long walks around NYC - what a cool way to grow up! You're doing such a great job. I hope the colic lets up soon and you get to enjoy it more.

heath said...

Oh Linds, that made me get a little teary. What a journey! And what a great outlook you have. I just wish I could be more like you!

lori said...

This is so beautiful! I'm sure Garrett will treasure these sentiments for a lifetime! And hang in there through the colic! IT DOES GET BETTER! Lucy was a pretty tough newborn too - but I can hardly remember those days now!

Lippy said...

Oh and this is going to sound so corny but I had to add a comment about this. My oldest girl was colicky, as were 3 of my nieces and 1 nephew (all of whom were part of my every day life). Out of my own 3 kids, and my 22 nieces and nephews, the "colicky" babies grew up to be the most content, personable, and happy of the whole bunch. Something to look forward to :)

This was a pretty entry for you to save. I hope there are many, many more!