Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Total Strangers Make Great Best Friends

I made a new friend at the grocery store yesterday. I never found out her name, nor she mine, but we have so much in common! Like, for instance, the fact that we were both trying, sometimes unsuccessfully, to navigate the teeny tiny aisles while weighed down with the infants we were carrying in our Snuglies, our diaper bags, and our grocery baskets, as well as the fact that we both live in this neighborhood. I saw her and she saw me and that was pretty much the beginning of what could potentially be a long and endearing friendship. We started chatting, as girlfriends are wont to do, and as it turns out, she's been dealing with the same colic problems with her nearly three-month-old as I've been with Garrett. Among other things, we talked about our regrets that breastfeeding didn't exactly work out, the fact that we're exhausted because our babies, sweet and adorable though they are, keep us up all night, and shared our attempts at remedying the colic. Our little powwow next to the instant oatmeal ended with her telling me where she lived and which park was closest to her and maybe we'd run into each other again sometime at that park? We sure hoped to! (Because, you know, we're pretty much best friends now!)

So whoever said New Yorkers weren't friendly people obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

3 comments:

Kristeee said...

How fun! Sounds like you're in a great area. And, as everyone knows, "instant" (oatmeal, that is) friendships can be some of the best! (hehe, I'm so funny!)

goddessdivine said...

Look at that....you're already making new friends. Go you. Next you'll be making friends at the laundromat, the bank, the park; the possibilities are endless.

Gabe said...

Hi guys!!! This is Gabriel. I just wanted to say hi and to tell you that Erin (my wife) and I think that your baby is so cute. Congrats in your move to NYC and hope that the move is good for you. If you see Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine tell them I say hi and Serenity NOW!