Monday, November 17, 2008

called to serve

A few weeks ago the bishop sat me down and asked me to serve in our ward as the Primary President. I accepted the calling and yesterday, along with my counselors, secretary, and replacement nursery leaders, was sustained.

While I feel privileged to be able to work with the children in my ward, this isn't the sort of calling where a congratulations is in order. I am excited, yes, but it's already come at a small price in the form of my first teary breakdown two weeks ago. I will, however, be working with an excellent group of women, who I believe will do well at supporting me and each other, and for that I am immensely grateful.

Yesterday my time was divided between three places: nursery, where I passed the torch onto the new leaders; primary, where I tried to get a feel for how that organization runs; and, because Blake still hadn't returned yet from his trip, the hallway, where I wrestled with my overtired little boy. It was a little crazy, and the first big hurdle I needed to get over, and now that it's passed, I'm feeling much better. The bishop and one of his counselors were kind enough to accommodate my wish to let Blake be a part of my setting apart and so postponed that blessing until last night. I now feel strengthened and ready to move forward. Soon I will meet with the former president, and then, after that, with my presidency, the combination of which, I think, will add a little more to my confidence.

I did notice yesterday, though, that I have a small issue I will need to overcome. I'm not sure what it is, but there is something about children singing Primary songs that chokes me up. I couldn't make it though Singing Time without tearing up a little. Aside from the fact that it's slightly embarrassing, I suppose that all told, it's not such a bad thing. At least I know the Spirit will be strongly felt each Sunday.

23 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Oh, I have that same tearing up problem. You are perfect for this calling. My advice (not that you asked for it): find the best chorister you can and hang on to her! Singing is more than half of your Primary, which is why you'll have plenty of practice to overcome your "issue." You are going to be great!

Erin said...

I'm sorry to say that the singing time problem never goes away. :) I've been in Primary almost a year and those little voices get me every time!

Good luck! You will be a fabulous Primary President!

goddessdivine said...

I know you didn't want it, but congratulations! You'll be fabulous. Just wait 'til they give their little talks in opening exercises. So dang cute. Good luck.

heath said...

That is not a light calling. Best of luck to you! I think you learn a lot about management in primary--it would probably be a great calling for me.

Kristie said...

Everyone is right, the tearing doesn't stop! The spirit is strong in these little ones. we're constantly dabbing our eyes, either from the spirit or laughing so hard we're crying at the funniest things these guys say! Now my advice: rely on your presidency, let them be there for you and include them in descisions that need to be made.

Lyndsie Miles said...

You will do wonderful! But WOW! I would be very overwhelmed as well. I do the same during singing time. I miss being in Primary, but I always love to peek in and listen to a song or two each week. You are going to do a wonderful job helping these little spirit stay close to their Heavenly Father.

FoxyJ said...

I got the same calling when my first was 1 year old. It's challenging, but you can do it. The hardest thing for me was balancing between doing too little and doing too much. Read your handbooks closely and pray a lot. I hope things go well!

Kelly said...

Yes, I have been without a CTR8/Valiant 9 teacher now for a month so I have to find a sub each week. Unfortunately, I remembered Saturday night at 10pm on the way back from St. George. My darling husband subbed for me and then taught in Elder's Quorum. So I got out my handy stroller and wheeled my baby around while I went from class to class and monitored the hallway.

You will do great as the President. I am just realizing things I should be doing and I have been doing it for over a year and a half. Probably just when you think you are doing it right, you will get released. So, I should be the President for the next 3 years or so.

Unknown said...

I am still recovering from my presidential years...it is hard. But if there's one thing I know it's that you will be helped and strengthened...you probably won't even realize how much you were helped until you are released, but that's the way life is. Your life constantly amazes me. I don't know how you do it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations, Lindsay! That's definitely a calling with responsibility, so many blessings to come as you serve. Tyler and I have served in the Primary under three presidents, and I am amazed at how awesome they all were/are.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I sometimes miss primary, but I wouldn't wish myself into your shoes. I am quite sure you will do fantastically though! Best of luck!

Jenny P. said...

I'm sure you'll do great Lindsay... i'm not serving in primary currently, but I was the president once before and it has been one of my most favorite callings ever... good luck! :)

Wendy said...

Lindsay, you will be amazing! There are moments of feeling overwhelmed and moments when you think your heart will burst. You will come to LOVE it! The choked up feeling never really goes away. There are moments when I hear the children sing or share their testimony that the tears can't be contained - it's all part of the wonder of primary.

AmyJane said...

I'm the primary chorister in my ward, and not to toot my own horn, but it really is a vital part of having sunday so well to have the best music person you can find. BTW, we had our primary program yesterday and I pretty much cried through the whole thing, hearing their sweet little singing voices. The part that did me in though was the bigger kids, singing so well and just nailing the words and bring the spirit into the meeting. It's a great place to work at church--have fun with it!

vdg family said...

We can do this together! This will be a great experience.

Nancy said...

Amen to all that has been said. You were wonderful in YW... You'll be wonderful in Primary. I love you for the way that you serve.

Sarah said...

Best of luck dear Lindsay. You'll follow the spirit and be just the Primary President the children and the ward needs.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lindsay! What an amazing woman you are! You have an interesting time ahead of you but I know the Lord will bless you for your efforts! Good luck!

Emily said...

I can empathize. Good luck! I love being in primary. It's my sanctuary on Sunday, since sacrament meeting is always a bit of a nightmare. I love the spirit that surrounds the children in our ward. You'll do great. Don't forget to delegate! (Sorry...didn't mean to rhyme. :D)

JoEllen said...

I agree with all that has been said. Sal and I have been team teaching the four year olds now since March and singing time is definitely our favorite. A good chorister is a must! Ours is awesome and she makes such a huge difference in the way our sunday goes. I imagine it's a big change from nursery, but I'm sure those kids will just love you!! From a teacher's perspective, I love that I have a list of people willing to substitute for me when necessary and I love that my presidency is willing to help me with unruly kids if my class is too large. This last week I had 2 rows worth of kids and was extra appreciative of the counselor who sat at the end Sal and I couldn't get to. You'll do great. I can't wait to hear about all the activities you guys come up with.

Kristi said...

Wow, what a great calling. I love Primary. BlueEyes and I were chorister & pianist (we'd tag-team it; generally I'd teach the songs and he'd play the games while I played piano) for 2.5 years - having a good music program in the Primary is the best part of it. One of the problems we saw with new presidencies was that, for the first 6 months, they thought their sharing times were supposed to be the most important things ever, so they took all the singing time and the kids would end up bored.

Good luck, Lindsay. After a few weeks or months the tearing up will slow down, I promise! Until the program, that is. Always gets me.

Sara said...

Oh! You're going to love it! Best of luck with Singing Time. I'm sure you will be a FABULOUS Primary President.

Krysta said...

I tear up every week in primary at some point or another. I cant even sing "A Child's Prayer" without bawling. now that i have had my boys, I wont be teaching in Primary anymore, so now I can go bawl in RS :)