Monday, July 30, 2007

One Month

Dear Garrett,

My first month with my first baby! I have never before in all my life been as exhausted as I have been since you joined our family. But you know what? I’ve also never before in my life been so happy. You are definitely make things around our house seem more complete.

Though you are still so tiny, you are hardly the baby I first met at the hospital one month ago. The day you were born was a very special day. You definitely took us by surprise! We weren’t expecting you for another two weeks! When I started having small contractions the morning you arrived, it crossed my mind that maybe that was it. When we got to the hospital early that afternoon and the nurse told me you were definitely coming, I cried. I couldn’t believe that in just a few hours, after nine long months of waiting, that I’d finally get to meet you! When later that evening (under a beautiful full moon, no less) I did meet you, I felt overwhelmed with love and gratitude. You made me a mother, something I’ve always wanted to be, and as I held you for the first time and gazed into your beautiful wide eyes, I cried again. I am so lucky to have you!

This first month has been a rollercoaster. You have had to learn how to be a baby outside the comforts of my womb, and I have had to learn how to be a mother. Some days it’s a challenge, but I like to think that together we are learning and figuring it out. I can’t promise that our days will get easier very soon. In a few weeks we’re going to pile together in the moving truck and head to our new home in New York City. It will be a grand adventure, and we’ll have to learn how to do a lot of things all over again, but I’m glad I won’t have to do it by myself – you will be with me.

I love you, my baby. I love you, my Garrett. You are my sweet, precious baby boy, and will be forever, no matter how much you grow up.

Love,
Mama