Wednesday, January 14, 2009

orange muffins

I got a mini-muffin tin for Christmas, and this morning I took it for a test run with a recipe for Orange Muffins that I found a while back over at Cafe Johnsonia. Oh my, were they heavenly! I'm going to have to make another batch soon because apparently I have a new addiction to feed.




Orange Muffins

1 cup sugar
juice of one orange, about 1/2 cup
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature (I never have real butter at home, so I used margarine; they turned out fine)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
3/4 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. Grease or line muffin pans. Mix 1 cup sugar with orange juice. (To juice the orange, I used my awesome newish melamine reamer.) Set aside.

Place 1 cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the orange zest and rub it between your fingers until it is sandy and wet. (If this doesn't make you feel like a professional chef, I don't know what will.) Add the butter. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together. Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat, followed by half of the sour cream. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, beat, and add the remaining sour cream. Add the last of the flour mixture and beat. The batter will be very stiff.

Transfer the batter to prepared muffin pan. For regular muffins you will use almost exactly 1/4 cup of batter. Mini-muffins will take 1-2 tsp of batter.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes (9-11 minutes for mini-muffins), until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Muffins will be lightly golden. Allow muffins to cool before removing from pan.

If desired, dip the tops of the muffins in the OJ/sugar mixture. (Desire it: seriously, this sweet glaze is the icing on the cake...or muffin. Whatever, but it's oh-so tasty.)

Yields: 12 regular, 36 mini

***

In other, totally unrelated news...did you know that New Yorkers are a prime target audience for the Utah ski industry? I would have never thought, but judging by the 5,000 commercials advertising powdery snow and a hopping night scene on the Park City slopes that I've seen over the last few days, they must be. But I suppose, like the commercials inform me, there are 48 daily flights from NYC to SLC, six of which arrive before noon, so apparently it's not as far away as one might initially think. I've never skied before in my life (yes, I am a Provo girl, born and raised), but these 30-second snippets sure have a way of making me homesick. We need a tax return so I can sneak away for a visit.

12 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Oh, seeing those mountains always makes me so homesick. One night, in a PTO meeting, when I was feeling especially homesick, they were showing a movie about internet safety. It happened to be filmed in Utah, at my former middle school, and I just couldn't stop the tears. I imagine the other moms there thought I was especially emotional about kids using facebook, or something. Anyway, hope you can get away soon!

Dave said...

Come....please come....and bring Garrett with you! I hear flights are really cheap now.

Love, Dad

PS I know Blake probably has to work, but he's welcome too. :)

InkMom said...

I have oranges from Florida so I will be trying this recipe first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!

Claudia said...

Oh My ... these look delicious, I wonder if I use Splenda instead of sugar, would it still be oh so good????

About being homesick - I get the Chilean Channel on our Satellite and when I first moved here and I saw all the shots from mountains, beaches, and all kinds of gorgeous places of my native country ... oh ... it was hard! Now it doesn't face me but at the beginning it was painful.

jeanine said...

I can't wait to try this recipe!

Nancy said...

I love muffins of any kind... These sound especially good. Thanks. Hope you get to visit home before long.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh, this looks good... I've been craving oranges, so I think I'll give this one a try.

If you do come for a visit, PLEASE let me know so we can get together! And not for skiing... I've only been once or twice (can't remember). =)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It's funny, Texans are a target for Lake Tahoe skiing according to our commercials. I found that odd since UT and CO are closer than NV.

Emily said...

Haha, i saw that same ad last night. Yay for the Office! Didn't you just love when Dwight threw that bobble-head into the trash? Take THAT, Angela! And i laughed about how they made it seem like you wouldn't even have to deal with Utah, just fly to salt lake and make a quick dash to park city. haha.

Emily said...

Mmmmm, I always love it when you post recipes! Thanks!

Sara said...

Hmm...I think we may have to make some this week!

Disco Mom said...

Mmm, yum. I love love love muffins (and cakes and cookies and...) but the best part of this post is that you got a mini muffin tin!!! I use mine so much because they are just perfect little kid size muffins and it's so nice to have a breakfast option other than cereal and oatmeal sometimes.