Tuesday, January 13, 2009

mama's turn

Lindsay, November 1983


Garrett, December 2008


There's no denying that Garrett inherited my blond hair and my fair skin, but the general consensus at our house usually is that he looks much more like his dad than his mama. Even Peggy, the Chinese owner of the laundromat I use, often exclaims how much he looks like his dad -- "Except for his hair, of course," she throws in for good measure.

When we first started assigning Garrett's features out to his parents, we decided that from the nose down he was all Blake and from the nose up he was all Lindsay. Generally we still consider this to be the case, although snippets of both of us sneak into the other half on occasion. For example, the shape of Garrett's eyes come from me (well, from my family, anyway: there are moments when he looks exactly like my mom when she was little and when he's being mischievous, he gets the same gleam in his eyes that my brother, Riley, got in his eyes right before he'd get in trouble). His eye color, however, is certainly not my light blue. Instead it is identical to Blake's sister, Brittany, as we learned when we matched the two of them up over Christmas. Also, the fact that his tongue is forever dangling out is definitely a habit I passed down.

Honestly, though, as I look through my small stash of baby photos, I think Garrett looks more like his dad than he does like me. There's no doubt that I passed certain features onto my son, but, aside from that hair, I'm of the opinion that his more dominant traits (round cheeks, wide mouth, and cleft chin, to name a few) came from Blake.


Lindsay, Nov. 1983, from the nose up

10 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

How about comparing Garrett's pics to your brothers'? He does look like both of you, mainly his daddy, but I'm just curious.

Jenny P. said...

I don't know... I think I might actually see more Lindsay...

InkMom said...

I'm with MommyJ, but I'm always rooting for the mommy . . . if I hadn't been there when my children were born, I would wonder if I was even involved.

Kelly said...

Yep, Dad. I have one that does not look a thing like me. I agree, InkMom.

Kristi said...

I love the comparison of the nose up photo. Definitely looks like a Garrett to me!

Claudia said...

mmmm ... I still believe nose up Mom, nose down Dad.

What about personality? It is pretty interesting when you start analyzing how they react or what kind of moods they have or what not and which side of the parents those things come from.

Emily said...

I did an out loud "ahhh" when I saw your baby picture. How darling little Lindsay is!

Wright Family said...

Those are way cute picture of you. I don't think I have ever seen them before. As for us Seth is good mix of both of us, though he did look a lot like Jeff when he was one and two. Liam looks exactly like Tyler did as little boy. And Lyncoln looks just like me expect for the lighter hair. So I don't know what this next one will be like.

lori said...

I think its a perfect combo - I see a lot of you in him, Linds! And a lot of Blake too.

GR82BAMOM said...

I'm loving the baby pics of Blake and you! Too cute! Bottom line is: Garrett is a perfect mix of the two of you!