Monday, January 05, 2009

on a mission

a mural of the San Antonio missions displayed at the River Walk


During our trip to San Antonio I garnered a collection of photos massive enough to be worthy of the great state of Texas. And don't even get me started on the enormity of the undocumented adventures we had. Just thinking about reporting on all we did makes me dizzy, so over the next few posts it will be my mission to share with you (though in no particular order) some of our fun in more manageable doses.

And speaking of missions, let's start with those in San Antonio. The day after Christmas we stopped by four of the five early 18th century Spanish missions: Concepcion, San Jose, San Juan, and Espada. On New Year's Day, we visited the fifth: the Mission San Antonio de Valero, more commonly known as The Alamo.





clockwise from top left: Mission Concepcion, Mission San Jose, Mission Espada, The Alamo, and Mission San Juan

They begin with The Alamo in the heart of downtown San Antonio and continue southward, each mission only separated by a few miles. The buildings are in remarkably good condition despite their age, and lovely frescoes have been uncovered on the walls and ceilings of several of them. Judging by the state of the chapels, it appears that regular Sunday meetings are held in all but The Alamo.

Garrett's favorite part of the visit? Games of one...two...three...whee!! doled out by dad, Uncle Eric and Aunt Brittany, of course:




Though, by the end, even he was getting a little tired:

4 comments:

nateandrebecca said...

Fun. I never got a chance to visit any other missions in the San Antonio area except the Alamo. I did get to see the Alamo a couple times though and learn about it in my Texas history class in middle school. Cool stuff.

Sarah Kay said...

Looks like great fun.

Claudia said...

Interesting, Concepcion was the name of the city where I lived when I went to University :D

That game is very popular at our household too.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Sarah said...

We saw the Alamo a few years ago and I was surprised it is in the middle of down town San Antonia. I didn't realize all the other missions we missed...that would have been fun.