Sunday, January 04, 2009

in the nursery


The first Sunday of the new year has a natural tendency in the Church to be somewhat of a red letter day -- especially in the Primary. Today was no exception. When I wasn't running around keeping the new Sunbeams in tow, teaching Sharing Time, or trying to find a substitute Valiant teacher, I was dropping Garrett off for his very first (official*) day of nursery. He did great....for the first hour and a half. Shortly after snack time, though, something in him snapped and he couldn't be consoled. They brought him to me in the Primary room, where I wiped his tears and tried to convince him to try again. He wasn't up to it, though, which was fine. He instead spent the remainder of the block curled up asleep in Blake's lap as he sat in as my substitute Valiant teacher. I guess it's not so much shyness that is Garrett's issue with nursery, but rather his nap schedule. He'll adapt eventually, I'm sure. And in the meantime, we'll keep trying.


*I say "official" only because he spent the first year of his life tagging along to nursery while Blake and I were the leaders. Today, though, it really counted.

10 comments:

JoEllen said...

We have church at 11 now and it's ridiculously hard for us! That covers lunch and nap for us and Little Sal was wiped out by the time we made it home! Poor guy. Garrett looks so cute in his sweater, and do I spy a yellow pole running through your desk drawers? To keep little hands out? Genius!

goddessdivine said...

He did great for his first official day. I know many who take weeks to assimilate.

The very end and very beginning of a year are stressful for any Primary. Good luck!

Kelly said...

And he looks so spiffy in that cute sweater.

I always get Rinar to substitute too when I am really in a pinch.

Kristi said...

The crop of babies in our ward is making its way into nursery this year, and it's fun to watch all their parents hold hands again and pay attention to the lessons. Must be nice, I say! I miss the simply Primary lessons, though. A few weeks back we got sidetracked in Sunday School about the 3 Nephites and if we'd recognize them if they were to serve us. Ugh. Give me the simple truths of the gospel! Anyways.

Love the outfit, by the way.

Claudia said...

What a good looking boy - congratulations on surviving the first official day at nursery.

Sounds like it went well! Our son has been in nursery at church since he was 2 months, he still goes home sleepy as he can be so Sunday, it is not a regular day for him, he's always asleep by the time we get home from church.

But he still loves it though. Sunday morning comes and I tell him we need to get ready for church and he says "Yaey, see Tammy & Wayne" (those are his teachers).

Glad to have you back!

Lyndsie Miles said...

What a handsome little guy! I love that his shoes seem to stay on his feet. Andrew has shoe repellant feet or something. Shoes never stay on!
He did wonderful for his first day without you guys in the nursery. Andrew has been going with Chris since summer when he was called to the nursery. He's also had Kenna until she moved up to the "Senior Nursery" yesterday. I hope he does well with out her.

Jenny P. said...

All I have to say is God bless you for the calling that you have. :)

nateandrebecca said...

We were out of town this last Sunday. We have been working in nursery though, so it will be interesting to see how the new comers are doing next week when we return to church in our ward.

Katie said...

Ahh - the first Sunday of the year. Instead of being in YW, I was in Sunbeams trying to console Jack because there were no toys and no snack time. Bummer!

Peter and Mandy said...

We are thrilled our church is now at 9 so we get to come home eat lunch and take a nap. The children seem much happier now. Last year we had sunbeams and several days would have children missing from class because they were asleep on a parent, or they fell asleep on the floor in class. That was when church started at 1.