Friday, January 16, 2009

i (heart) new yorkers

First, a little riddle:

Q: A plane crash lands on the Hudson River border of New York and New Jersey. On which side where were the survivors buried?

A: Nowhere! They were survivors!

Okay, that was lame, I know. But I couldn't help myself.

***

As it's plastered all over the news, I'm sure you've heard about the commercial US Airways flight that made an emergency crash landing on the Hudson River only minutes after takeoff. (If not, you can read up on it here.) People have been calling it nothing short of a miracle, and while it was indeed incredible, I like to believe there was more skill and heart involved than luck. An experienced pilot, a trained flight crew, and quick civilian and uniformed first responders all contributed to the complete success of the rescue.

While the pilot should rightly be hailed as an incredibly skilled hero, I am just as equally impressed with the first responders, the majority of whom were nothing more than witnesses who happened to be in a position to help. Before even the first 911 call was placed, Hudson River ferry boats were on the scene pulling passengers out of the plane. They were soon followed by NYPD-commandeered Circle Line tour boats, the Coast Guard, the FDNY and trained divers. I've no doubt that witnesses along the riverfront and watching from the windows of their high-rise office buildings feared this was another terrorist attack. And yet, by all accounts, they calmly alerted authorities and stayed nearby to offer an extra hand of help.

People can whine all day about how cold-hearted New Yorkers can be, and yes, we all have our bad days. But I'll tell you what: I have never been so impressed by how eager they are to help perfect strangers, whether those strangers have just gone down in an engine-failed plane, or whether they, like me, are often just lost in the city and need directions. Or need help lifting my stroller up subway stairs. Or help holding a heavy door open. These busy, hurried, city dwellers could easily pass these people by without a second thought. But more often than not they don't. They pick up the slack and keep things moving, even if it puts them behind schedule. And, you know, I'm really glad that they do. They make the burden of urban life lighter and remind me that the majority of humanity really are instinctively good.

12 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

I was thinking of writting a blog saying that I want to live in NYC just because of how they reacted to this event and the way you speak of so many kind hearted New Yorkers.

I saddly think many (not all) in Utah would have just sat by and watched... as I often encounter at stores while trying to hold open a door, pushing a double stroller and guiding a four year old. That or the odd look I get by saying something like, "Have a nice day."

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Hm...and I was just gonna say how nice people are in every place I've lived and visited - even in Utah! But, as Lindsay said, we all have our bad days!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

That was an amazing story. When we visited New York about seven years ago, with two toddlers and a preschooler, there were many that were very gracious and helpful. In fact, when traveling with my girls alone anywhere, I am always amazed at the kindness of strangers.

Kelly said...

Don't forget either: Heavenly Father's hand in all things.

Carrie said...

When I was in NYC I met many kind people! In fact, I didn't meet a single rude person, so I never have understood the whole, "New Yorkers are rude," thing. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie Jones said...

I live in Arizona, where there are many, many New Yorkers and I have found them to have real heart. They might be a bit gruff at times, but they are truly warm and caring. My daughter attended college on Long Island for four years and found the same thing. New Yorkers rock! (I enjoy your blog -- thanks for sharing your fun experiences).

JoEllen said...

This landing in the River is truly amazing! As you mentioned, it has been all over the news and I'm still in awe that the landing was successful. Wow!

Kristi said...

I love how New Yorkers react to crises and situations where others need them. It's charming to see such willingness to help and be friendly in such a large city, where it's easy to feel lost and alone.

Erin said...

Amen!

goddessdivine said...

This is an amazing story. Props to the pilot, crew, and first responders.

Anonymous said...

When I heard about this story, I was in awe of how it all happened and that every single person on that plane was safe and uninjured. What a wonderful blessing for them all!

Disco Mom said...

New Yorkers are the nicest jerks I ever met.