Wednesday, January 21, 2009

his tree grows in brooklyn

Blake has recently grown interested in the art of bonsai. For his birthday I gave him the funds necessary for him get started with his new hobby. Over the weekend we visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so he could pick out his tree and supplies. He is now the proud owner of a Chinese Elm tree.


Without the meticulous pruning and training of branches and roots required to keep bonsai trees small, this teeny tiny elm tree has the potential to grow to fifty feet tall. But you know? I think the little version is pretty charming.

11 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Fun!

vdg family said...

It's lovely. These are the months we'll take all the green we can get. :)

Wendy said...

What a great new hobby!

JoEllen said...

Sal loves bonsai and has wanted a similar tree for quite some time. I think when he has his own office, with a door that we can keep closed, we just might go ahead and get him one. Right now I am afraid my cats would do too much pruning to the tree and end up destroying it. Blake's tree is very awesome looking!

Heather said...

Funny, we have those trees growing around here like weeds. Matter of fact we call them garbage trees. I'm glad that you are finding a way to put one of my huge nuisances to good use.

Kristi said...

That's a cool hobby to take up! I have about 50 of those trees in my yard, though, and they're about impossible to kill!

Lyndsie Miles said...

I had no idea they could grow to be so big! I guess I need to educate myself about those cute little trees!

Lindsay said...

Bonsai trees are started from the same seeds that their full-grown counterparts are. It's the careful pruning of roots and branches that train them to be small.

Peter and Mandy said...

Good luck in your adventures. It sounds like fun.

Sarah said...

I gave Scott a bonsai tree for one of his birthdays!

Unfortunately, we didn't have someone babysit it when we were gone one summer week, and it didn't survive. sad.

Emily said...

I looked for the tree when I was watching Garrett the other day and I couldn't find it! Did Blake take it to work? I also didn't look very hard b/c i didn't want to snoop :) I mostly looked on windowsills b/c of this picture.