Friday, January 09, 2009

he loves me!

When we were new parents and desperately needed sleep, we'd often take Garrett into bed with us to finish out the night. Invariably, Garrett would always cuddle right into Blake's arms. It was as if that little nook between Blake's shoulder and elbow was meant just for his infant son. They always looked so comfortable sleeping together. I, on the other hand, was the parent with whom Garrett never snuggled with at night. Instead, he took to using my abdomen as a punching bag as he squirmed in his sleep. This made me a little sad (not to mention a little sore), but ultimately I learned to just be grateful that I didn't wake up with a dead arm.

As soon as Garrett was old enough to know how to take advantage of this sleep arrangement, at about 10 months of age, we worked hard to kick him of the habit. No more would we put up with "cry-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-they'll-come-rescue-me" behavior. Occasionally, however, we'll relent, though typically only because of illness or absolute desperation. The other night was one of those times.

After repeatedly and unsuccessfully trying to urge Garrett back to sleep on his own in the crib, Blake brought him into bed with us. As usual, Garrett snuggled right into the crook of Blake's arms, and, in an effort to save my abdomen, I rolled to my other side.

This position suited all of us quite well until a short time later when, just as I was on the verge of falling back asleep, I was jostled to my senses by my son trying to climb up over me. I jumped to catch him before he crawled right off the bed, and as I did so, he shifted his little body in order to nestle comfortably in the crook of my arm.

My arm! He had climbed over my back because he wanted to cuddle with me! What a sweet, tender novelty! And you know what? He stayed that way until, an hour or so later, Blake took him back to his crib to finish out the night.

I could get used to this. Only I won't. Because even though my quiet times with Garrett are becoming more few and far between, I still prefer him to sleep in his own bed.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Squeeze those loving moments as much as you can, they are far apart as they grow older. You will have great other moments too, don't take me wrong, but those cuddling moments seem to be more and more further apart :OI

Jessica said...

Ok I know this isn't really the same but the same thing happens with Macy (the cat.) She cuddles with Elliot all night and on the very few occassions she walks on my back until I roll over so she can cuddle with me instead--I am overjoyed as she purrs herself to sleep in the crook of my arm. Hopefully at least one of my kids will like me better--Elliot tends to win everyone's heart. He's just so cool!

Lyndsie Miles said...

I love those sweet moments... as tired as you are they are so wonderful!

Enjoy cuddling your little guy!

Kristi said...

That would melt my heart! We do NOT have a cuddly baby. I eat up all the little hugs and brief seconds of snuggles I get.