Monday, January 26, 2009

celebration

First of all, a big thank you for all of the kind birthday wishes sent my way -- the comments, cards, gifts, emails, phone calls, and Facebook messages. Really, I feel so loved!

I had a wonderful day: Garrett gave me the best present a toddler son could give his mother -- he took a nearly 4-hour-long nap. It was unprecedented, and oh-so wonderful. Blake came home on time from work bearing a beautiful long stem rose. As a family we scarfed down chocolate cake and ice cream, after Garrett, displaying his latest talent, helped me blow out the candles.


Blake top secretly arranged for babysitters on Saturday, then whisked me off to Manhattan for a date. We had a delicious dinner at a hip little cafe called Penelope (the spinach artichoke dip? So, so incredible), then stepped in a few of my favorite stores (Fishs Eddy and Anthropolgie) where I managed to part with a little birthday money. On Sunday, my visiting teachers, who are Ukrainian and Russian, told me I couldn't have a truly happy birthday unless I had a box of real Ukrainian chocolates to celebrate with. And oh, my... I think they were right.

It was a weekend of celebrating, and it was grand. But now I'm worn out, so please excuse me while I go put my feet up.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad you had a great day/weekend. You deserve it!

Kristie said...

Where can I get some of those chocolates?

heath said...

Your VTs sound adorable!

Katie said...

I'm a little late with the birthday wishes ... but it looks like you had a good one! :)

ktln said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Oh hey, by the way, I have received multiple compliments about the cute navy blue headband I'm wearing today. Just thought you would like to know. :)

mcampbell said...

So glad you had such a lovely day. You absolutely deserve it.

Disco Mom said...

Yay, it sounds wonderful. So glad you had a great day, weekend and DATE!!!

JoEllen said...

Ukrainian chocolates!? Awesome!

Margo said...

HAPPY B-DAY!! It sounds like it was a very good day. Cliff served in Ukraine and loved the chocolate. You are a lucky girl

Mel said...

4 hour nap? What I wouldn't give for one of those. It must have been glorious!