Sunday, February 24, 2008

endearing genetics

If I had to pick one word to describe Blake's hair, it would be tousled. Not truly messy, just tousled, as if fingers have been twirled through it. In fact, that is often the reason for its sticking this way and that way and every which way. He plays with it when he's thinking hard, when he's nervous, and when he can't quite think of the right thing to say. As if by an invisible thread, his hand is automatically and absentmindedly lured to the top his head to finger his thick, brown hair.

I'm told that his mother can attest to the fact that he's been playing with his hair since he was very young. When we were students at BYU, I'd frequently find him buried among the writings of ancient and not-so-ancient philosophers on the fourth floor of the library, one hand turning the pages of Plato or Merleau-Ponty, the other twirling hair on the top of his head. In fact, I used to be able to tell how long he'd been studying by how tousled his hair was. He also twirled it when nerves consumed him during the beginning of our courtship. A hand magnetically attached to the top of his head meant he liked me and wanted to ask me out again, but wasn't quite sure how.

Blake has grown up. He is no longer a student, but a working New York City professional who is trying to kick the childish hair-twirling habit. Our four-plus years of friendship have naturally calmed his nerves and he doesn't need fingers running through his hair think of what to say to me next. Consequently his hair isn't tousled as often anymore. I kind of miss it.

Luckily, though, it appears that this endearing little habit is genetic: Garrett, like I have mentioned before, has also started to twirl his hair. And, with the exception that he seems to prefer the tufts behind his right ear over those on the top, he does it just like his dad. It's the most adorable thing I've seen him do, especially when, in an effort to grab a chunk of hair, he misses and ends up flicking his ear. As he was waiting patiently for me to finish preparing his breakfast yesterday morning, I caught him in the act...and happily had my camera nearby:


9 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

What a cutie. When Scott's mom was pregnant with Scott, his real dad died in an accident. I did not see a picture of his dad until a couple of years after we were married. I was shocked when I saw it--he was lounging on the couch the EXACT same way Scott does. They don't look much alike, but their mannerisms are SO similar. Aren't genetics cool?

Anonymous said...

That's really cute!

goddessdivine said...

Oh, if only he had more hair ;-)

Cute.

JoEllen said...

How lucky that you caught that on camera! He is darling and hopefully someday he will have more hair to fill his need to play with it!

Krysta said...

Freakin Adorable... :)

jeanine said...

that is so super cute!

Anonymous said...

I hope he's not pulling it out! Besides the obvious genetics, maybe its also a security thing like thumb sucking. My little nephew plays with other people's hair, so when he's on your lap the hair along your back neckline could be in knots before you know it! His sister, however plays with your ear. The cutest thing is when they are together and he twirls her hair while she plays with his ear.

Melissa said...

Super cute. And by the way....I have never even met your husband, but even just by the pictures they look SO much alike!
P.S. Love the bib!

Lippy said...

He's so big now, and smiley too. Looks like you have a twirler on your hands!