Symptoms:
- Pangs of regret over selling the car you had planned to drive 'til it died
- Twinges of sad fondness when remembering the adventures that car took you on
- Eyes which unconsciously well up when watching a Toyota Corolla commercial
- An anxiousness to cure that antsy itch by getting in a car and driving away somewhere
- Heavy, hum-drum, stuck feeling when you can't
- Weariness from walking and frostbite (or at least the threat thereof) of doing so in the cold, snowy, wet, yucky, gray outdoors
Things to Keep in Mind When Self-Treating:
- The car had a check engine light issue when we sold it anyway
- I have absolutely no desire to drive in this crazy city
- I don't have to pay for car insurance or car maintenance
- Rising gas prices are something I'm immune to stressing over
- No parking? No problem
- Living in New York is a grand adventure, an experience I wouldn't trade for anything
- Warm days will come to stay before too much longer which will make foot travel less tedious
- And in the meantime, the subways and buses aren't such a bad option
Don't worry, guys. This bout of car envy was relatively mild; I'm already on the road to recovery. It's beautiful and warm outside today; my walk to the grocery store was sunny and enjoyable. It's the end of February and summer really isn't too far off. So, little car, I still miss you and the suburban life you came with, but good things can't last forever because I have to make room for the great things that are always just around the corner.
5 comments:
Oh, that is sad. But you're right, we give up good things for more good things . . . usually.
Hey Lindsay! I know it must be hard, but I’m glad you have a great outlook! I actually have been thinking about you as we took our adventure today to Costco for diapers and potatoes with all three kids in tow. Enjoy your time with you two and Garrett and the adventures you are going on. Also, know that I am living vicariously through you and your awesome adventures in NY!
P.S. I ran into Emily “Robertson” Morris (Yes, she married Ben Morris, I didn’t know! They have two cute little guys, one looks just like Ben and the other just like Emily!)
P.P.S. Paige had her little Eliza Paige Drumm on Saturday and all are doing well.
I'd die w/o a car. Then again, nothing is within walking distance.
Be grateful you're not paying an arm and a leg for gas.
Another con...those fun times when cars break down and require tow trucks and mechanics and the spending of one's hard earned tax refund. Just saying.
I feal your sadness. I would also totally love not to have to worry about how expensive cars are. Sixty bucks to fill up... totally ridiculous!!
Post a Comment