Friday, May 25, 2007

Meal Planning

A [so far] foolproof recipe which has worked for this author (who likes to cook, but for whom it has taken an embarrassingly long time to figure out a decent system for meal planning) for two whole weeks and counting.

Ingredients:

  • blank sheet of paper, divided into two columns
  • pen or pencil or marker or crayon or whathaveyou
  • your own collection of recipe favorites, perhaps combined with a few new things to try
  • access to, or knowledge of, items already in your pantry/refrigerator

Directions:

1. On the blank sheet of paper, label one column “Meals” and the other column “Grocery List.”

2. In the “Grocery List” column, write down those items which you know need to be purchased in order to replenish your stock of basic food items (i.e. milk, bread, eggs, fresh vegetables/fruits, etc)

3. Next, thumb through your recipe collection. Pick a handful which you’d like to cook in the coming week and write them in the “Meals” column. If you are able, assign a day in which to cook/eat each meal. Sprinkle this with days for leftovers.

4. Look through the necessary ingredients of your chosen meals. In the “Grocery List” column, write down any ingredients you do not currently have in your pantry.

5. Take your list with you to the grocery store and have at it! Be sure to stick to it like glue – your budget will thank you for it.

6. Put your feet up because for the next week you can eat well without having to make your worn out, tired self crazy trying to come up with something to eat for dinner.

7 comments:

Desmama said...

I'm with you on this system. Once I figured out a few meals that I liked and could cook, my life became much easier. When I was pregnant with my first, we ate out A LOT because I was just too tired to cook. By the time #2 came along, we couldn't do that anymore, so I had to figure something else out.

lori said...

Lindsay! Of course I remember you! I'm so happy to see you have a blog - and a delightful one at that! I'm excited to do some perusing and learn more about your life! To start with, I loved this "recipe" - great advice! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Lindsay Nay!
So excited to find your blog! I feel like we're all living at Southridge again...something that outsiders will never understand how fabulous it was. Congrats on your soon to be baby boy!

AmyJane said...

Same system at our house. You'll especially thank yourself when your little guy starts eating food and wants dinner at 5:30 and you already know what you're making! Most days I stay on track but sometimes we find ourselves doing the 5 PM dinner crunch.

FoxyJ said...

I also include the supermarket flyer so I can plan around what is on sale that week, especially fruits and veggies and meats.

Kristeee said...

I wholeheartedly agree. I use the same system when planning for a vacation and what clothes I want to take along, too - then I know what loads of laundry I have to wash when (so I have dry jeans), and which things to pack to maximize cuteness. Lists are so great!

Lindsay said...

Lori and Amy -- SO HAPPY to find you guys! Hooray! Thanks for stopping by, and of course, feel free to come back. :)

FoxyJ -- Good idea. I do that, too...sometimes. I should probably do it more often, but one thing at a time, I suppose. :)