Thursday, June 22, 2006

Of Dead Spiders & Summer Picnics

I think it's time for the janitors to sweep the hallway outside our office door because its building quite the collection of dead stepped-on spiders. Gross. I stepped on a particularly ugly one this morning. It was not fun. I hate stepping on spiders. But at least it's not crawling around on my desk.

Today is the office summer picnic. For the last few months I've been on the planning committee for this event. It should be fun, although the 40% chance of severe thunderstorms again this afternoon might spice things up. At least rain would give the employees a valid reason to whine and complain like 5-year-olds. Two days ago (after several weeks of advertising, mind you) people starting whining about the picnic plans: "It's too hot." "Why do we have to have it there?" "I don't want to go." Good grief, people! Grow up! No one is making you go, and no one is making you participate in the activities. And if you're so upset about a free afternoon out of the office, why didn't you mention it earlier before we had invested so much time, energy, and money into planning this thing? Sheesh. Some people. They'll have fun -- they'll see.

Anyway, I will be happy when today is over. When today is over, the picnic will have happened and laundry will be done. I'm exhausted -- this week has been far too busy.

No comments: