We dodged a few more potholes last night as we went out with the sister missionaries. This town is riddled with potholes and I'm telling you, something must be done. They are everywhere and they make driving teeter on the dangerous side of ridiculous. There are probably a thousand explanations for these potholes, ranging from the frigidly cold winters to the use of low quality asphalt. Excuses, excuses, people! Just patch them up, for goodness sake. (To their credit, I will say that they do patch most of them up, eventually. Though the patching jobs are often shoddy and lumpy at best.)
I noticed when we first moved here that Muncie's roads weren't exactly in top notch condition, but we didn't have our first real run-in with a deep pothole until January (the potholes get worse and more widespread in the winter, leading to the cold weather explanations). Of course, when we hit it, I was driving. And of course it was dark outside and I couldn't see it coming. And of course it made a horrible sound leading us to believe we had pretty much ruined our car. Of course, though, these thoughts turned out to be unnecessary -- but they did help us be more cautious. Sometimes, though, you just can't miss them. The roads here are much narrower than they are out west, and if there is a pothole rapidly growing to your right, and oncoming traffic passing on your left, and you're driving a decent speed, and it's dark outside, -- well, in a situation like that, there's just not a lot you can do to avoid hitting it.
Anyway...I didn't originally intend to spend this post talking about potholes, enlightening and interesting though they may be. I was going to tell you about going out with the sister missionaries. But, I suppose that when it comes right down to it, there's not a lot to report on that event. We tried to visit Crystal, the sweet and pretty interested investigator we met with on Monday, but she wasn't home. We also tried to visit with Becky, who I have yet to meet seeing as she's never home when we drop by. This makes us 1 for 3 (Friday attempts = nobody home, Monday's attempts = one person home, Thursday's attempts = nobody home). I think we're bad luck for the sisters. That can't be good. But they insist that we're not, so they keep asking us to come with them. Here's hoping for a better track record in the future. In the meantime, you'll probably just get more stories about potholes.
No comments:
Post a Comment