I once read somewhere (probably on a Mary Engelbreit greeting card) that a girl's best friend is her mother. When I was growing up, I'm not so sure I would have agreed with that statement. Don't get me wrong -- I
wanted to agree, desperately at times. But the relationship I had with my mom, especially during my teenage years, didn't, in my opinion, exactly live up to the greeting card industry. Our bond wasn't necessarily an unstable one; it was just a little awkward, and deep down I had a hunch that once I grew up, married, and had children of my own, there would be more to connect us, more to bring us together.
After spending two weeks with us here in Brooklyn, this afternoon I had to put my mom on a Provo-bound airplane. It was hard to see her go -- and not only because of the extra pair of hands she brought and dutifully used to help care for Garrett and Caleb. I think that what I will miss the most is her company. I felt that, through the time we spent together and the conversations we had, we cultivated a friendship that both of us wanted to grow stronger.
So thanks, Mom, for coming. I needed -- and treasured -- your visit.
9 comments:
What a great picture. They are lucky to have such a wonderful grandma.
good thing my mom is coming soon otherwise I'd be super jealous of you getting yours!
sweet! you should do a post about your dear brother for his birthday! jk, but seriously! :)
Oh such sweetness!
I love your mom so much. I am glad you had a treasured visit and she is becoming your good friend. How luck you were to have her there for two week!
I'm so glad you have your mother. :) Makes me miss mine an awful lot.
I spent the most wonderful two months with my mom here at home. We took her to the airport Wed. night to go back to Chile. I treasure the time we spent together and I know my son did too. He keeps asking "Is Abuelita coming today?" oh how I wish she was but I'm so thankful we got to spend 2 whole months, can't wait 'til her return (after the baby gets here).
So happy to know you had your mom with you too. There's just something about having Mom at home that makes everything so much better.
Moms really are great, and you really don't fully appreciate them until you're older. But it's nice that as you move away you grow closer!
So true. When my mom left after Patrick was born, I cried. When my mom left after Kennedy was born, Patrick and I both cried the whole way home from the airport. I really do love those visits though, more than just to be taken care of. As one of seven siblings, those visits are the only one on one time we realy have together, and the pace of the visit is slowed down by being in postpartum/newborn land. Love them.
Post a Comment