Tuesday, October 27, 2009

a big day at the doctor's

At Caleb's 2-month well check-up this morning, I learned that, according to the numbers, he is measuring up just fine, having done a healthy amount of growing in the last six weeks. Here are his stats:

Length: 23 3/4 inches (up from 21" at his 2-week appointment)
Weight: 12 lbs 12 oz (up from 8 lbs 11 oz at his 2-week appointment)

Beyond the numbers, however, things got a little more interesting. Not bad, per se; just slightly atypical. To begin with, he does have reflux, though by all accounts it doesn't seem to be as bad as Garrett's was. It does, though, help to explain his colicky fussiness. The doctor said that reflux typically peaks at 4 months, so if it gets any worse in the near future (ie: a marked rise in Caleb's crying), we can put him on an antacid. Caleb is also prone to blocked tear ducts, especially in his left eye. Apparently this translates to an almost guaranteed eye infection every time he gets a cold. So, that'll be fun. If things on that front don't start looking better by the time he's about 9 months old, we'll likely be referred to an opthamologist.

The doctor also confirmed my suspicions that Caleb is both slightly tongue-tied and has a belly button hernia. The hernia is nothing to be too concerned about as in almost all cases it's only a cosmetic issue; it should close up on its own (hopefully sooner rather than later because his belly button seriously grosses me out). As for his tongue, there's no need for intervention yet because it's not hindering his eating. If it poses a problem to his speech down the road, an ENT can clip it at that point.

And then it was time for shots. Caleb was a trooper -- the sort of trooper who screams hysterically when poked, but a trooper nonetheless. Either because it's my second time around watching my newborn get vaccinated, or perhaps because I'm so used to hearing him cry, it was just business as usual from my perspective. In fact, I was phased so little by it that I asked the doctor about a flu shot for Garrett. Five minutes later, Garrett was getting poked as well. For the record, he didn't even flinch, which apparently just goes to show that eventually shots are no big deal. (Caleb, did you hear that?)

So, a big day at the doctor's. Both boys are sleeping off the excitement. Which, now that I think of it, I should be doing the very same thing. It's exhausting hauling two small boys (in the rain) to the doctor's office. I really would rather not have to do this again until the next well check-up. Three cheers for good health!

8 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Our oldest was tongue-tied. Not bad, she grew out of it. I hope Caleb does, too. And, I hope the reflux does not get worse--poor little guy! My brothers all had (have) reflux. I remember the screaming from my youngest brother, but he grew out of that, thankfully. His wife might think it is a little weird. :)

Jenny P. said...

I had a nephew who had reflux and required antacids... he took them until just before his first birthday, and he's been fine without them ever since. I'll tell you though, the antacid made him a different baby... he was happier because for the first time, he was actually full! It's hard to realize how much of his dinner he was actually barfing up.

Glad everything is generally well with little Caleb and hope the minor issues resolve quickly. :)

JoEllen said...

It is the time of year when doctor's visits can become more frequent...I hope you all have excellent health in the months to come!

Hooray for growing babies. Caleb is really adorable!

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow Garrett is quite the man for not flinching. Gosh I complained after getting the flu shot. Your little boy is very brave!

Lindsay said...

I was a little disappointed that the doctor didn't just give Caleb an antacid -- especially when I expressed just how fussy he is all the time. Garrett was put on an antacid for his reflux and, yeah, the difference was night and day. So now I'm hoping the issue just starts to disappear instead of escalate.

Carrie said...

Man, what a day for you! I hope that all Caleb's atypical conditions clear up.

heath said...

Way to go with the shot Garrett!

Sarah said...

I'm surprised the doctor didn't give Caleb something after confirming that he does have reflux. I guess that means another trip to the doctor (hopefully without the rain).

Glad all the other issues are minor and you don't worry too much about them.