Thursday, September 10, 2009

breaking the norm

While I was a student at BYU I took a basic linguistics class. In one particular lecture, taught near the end of the semester, we learned that we naturally have certain expectations when we engage in conversations with others. One of these is called the norm of civil inattention, which basically states that people brought together in various public situations should, and generally will, ignore each other. There are several instances, however, when this norm is tossed to the wind with reckless abandon, one of which I would like to talk about today.

You know how when you're walking down the street and a person who you would otherwise pretend didn't exist approaches you with a the most adorable puppy you've ever seen? Or is dressed like Jolly Green Giant? Or is toting around a towheaded toddler and a two-week-old newborn? And suddenly you feel the desire to talk with them as if they are an old friend?

According to my linguistics professor, this person is accompanied by what is called an open category and is therefore fair game to long, awkward, and generally unwanted conversations from complete strangers.

I mentioned in my last post that I try to get out of the house with Garrett and Caleb at least once each day because if we didn't we'd probably die a slow, painful death resulting from irrational tears and the pulling out of our own hair. Our outings are short, and we never stray very far from home. It is therefore all the more amazing to me just how many random conversations with people I don't know I have been forced to be a part of. Here are two recent examples:
  • I was held captive for what felt like an eternity by a Russian woman who carried on (and on...and on...) in her heavily accented English about how boys were far better than girls because girls grow up to hate their mothers. Or something to that effect. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what exactly she was jabbering on about, partly because apparently most of the words she knows in English are not ever going to reproduced here.
  • This morning, shortly after we walked past a woman loitering outside a local church, she called after me to tell me I had a tiny baby (as if I didn't realize this myself), and then proceded to ask me if it was my baby or if I was just the nanny.
Poor Garrett is even subject to these crazy strangers who, once they are able to tear themselves away from Caleb and I, turn their attention to him, asking him over and over in high-pitched voices how he likes being a big brother. He never knows how to respond, and so usually shies away to a safe spot behind my knees. Not that I blame him. When I'm stuck in situations like this, I often find myself wishing for some place I could run away to and hide. Instead I find myself inching away as I politely nod. Only trouble with this is that most of these Brooklynites just keep talking as they shuffle away with me.

(Though my professor never specifically mentioned it, I'm assuming that the unrelenting desire random strangers on the street have to give unsolicited parenting advice also owes itself to a break with the norm of civil inattention. I have received plenty of people's two cents' worth concerning Garrett's upbringing in the past, but luckily have not yet had to deal with this with Caleb.)

We've all been there, I know, and it's always an awkward position to be in, one which I'm still not sure of the best way to pull myself away from. In the words of Napoleon, "What the heck would you do in a situation like that?" Because I'm at a loss.

15 comments:

Katie said...

You nod poiltely and laugh about it later. And shrug off crappy advice that everyone seems to dish out!

Desmama said...

Yeah, I think Katie's right. Nod politely, start shuffling away, and blog about it so all of us can read it and share our own stories.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Oh boy, did I have this happen A LOT when taking my newborn twins places. It was often irritating how friendly people tried to be. Often times shopping would take twice as long because so many people would stop me. And I'm too nice to just completely ignore them. I like the smiling and nodding and walking away tactic. What about learning the phrase "I don't speak English" in Dutch or something and you could fake total misunderstanding?

Kimberly said...

Yeah...I hate that! I already get it and I'm barely even showing that I'm pregnant! Oh the fun times ahead!

Kristie said...

I just turn it around and control the situation, I ask them a question, like, "Are you from around here?" then "How long have you lived here?" then "Do you have a place of worship you attend?" then I say "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, some call us 'Mormons', have you heard of us?"
Surprisingly the conversation usually ends soon after that. And if not, then I get a chance to do missionary work!

vdg family said...

I like the last one. That is great!

Dave said...

Way to go Kristie!!!

Samantha said...

Ha, we are experiencing many similar situations! I am usually kind of weirded out that so many people ask my also 2 year old daughter how she likes being a big sister. Can 2 year olds really respond to that? Or am I expected to respond? B/c usually she stares, maybe nods, maybe says something, but then I do the talking...

JoEllen said...

I LOVE Kristie's idea!!

amanda said...

I love it when people talk to me, even if they are a little weird. I find it very refreshing when people don't hunker down to themselves, but instead smile or say something to break that awkward stranger silence. Here is another suggestion if you don't like the focus on you: turn it around to them in any way you can. People usually enjoy talking about themselves, and when they do so it might reveal why they want to give you advice or comment on your situation as a young mother. It doesn't have to be religion right off, but it could lead there. Ask them if they have children or nieces/nephews, or why they are out, or anything! I envy you that people are so outgoing there - I would love to go out and talk to people on the street every day.

Unknown said...

I totally hear you! If I hear, "you must have your hands full" or "do twins run in your family?" one more time I will do something drastic!

Kelly said...

Yep, with twins it is the typical questions. I can't tell you how many times people said, "You must have your hands full!", or "Are they identical?" or I am a twin...I have twins...or my very favorite, I always wanted to have twins!

Since I am having one of each, I already know people will ask me if they are identical, and I already know what I am going to say.

"YES!"

The whole nanny question really is legitimate considering where you live. Sad, but true unfortunately. And Lindsay, if your boys are behaving badly, you can always say you are the nanny!

Lindsay said...

As much as I wish I had the natural ability to turn around and take control of a conversation with a total stranger, that's just not something that I'm very good at -- nor do I much want to be, really. Most of the time when I'm stopped by strangers, I'm pressed for time, or one of my boys is having a bit of a meltdown, and it's just really not a good time to sit down and chat with someone. I like some of your ideas though, especially the one involving learning Dutch. Very creative. :)

Samantha - I'm glad I'm not the only one! I honestly think Garrett is more confused by people asking him how he likes being a big brother than anything else. I don't think he has a good enough grasp yet on all this new vocabulary.

Kelly - I realize that asking if someone is the mother of the children she's toting around or if she's the nanny is a totally legitimate question in this city. However, most people take one look at the similarities between Garrett and I (um, the pale skin and bright white hair, anyone?) and automatically assume that he's mine. It doesn't often get assumed the other way.

Jenny P. said...

So funny that we teach our children not to talk to strangers, and then when strangers talk to our children, they are miffed when they don't get a response. I have so been there, done that... happens all the time.

When I'm really in a hurry, I try and avoid eye contact whenever I can... just keep my eyes down and push forward, and maintain constant conversation with the kids. I think I'e mastered looking "too busy" to have pointless conversations.

Carrie said...

Thanks for the laugh! I totally understand. I get that too, but I never know what to say, particularly when the person approaching me doesn't have teeth.