Friday, August 07, 2009

sous chef


I have apparently employed a two-year-old sous chef for my kitchen. I don't remember hiring him, but, judging by the chair he's constantly pushing over to the counter and subsequently climbing on, he has been especially helpful lately.

I use the term "helpful" loosely, however. It isn't always helpful when your sous chef tries to put his hand on a hot burner. Or when he reaches for the block of knives. Or when he dumps scoopfuls of flour onto the floor. With his "help," it actually takes me twice as long to cook or bake anything as it did before he came on.

Even so, I think I'll keep him around for at least a little while longer. I'm hopeful that perhaps his kitchen skills will improve with practice -- and age.

Making muffins with the bunch of bananas he peeled open yesterday when he was being especially "helpful."

9 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

What a cutie! (And a stinker :) but let's just focus on the cute part.) Love it.

heath said...

Too bad he'll probably be disinterested in it by the the time he actually could be helpful. But so cute in the meantime, and go you for having the patience to let him explore and be part of what you do.

Claudia said...

I love his smiley face as he work himself in the kitchen!!!!! Adorable!

I used to have a helper in the kitchen too, yes one that put his fingers in the hot burner too, one who would drop half the meat out of the pot ... etc. Now I have an entertainer, a rocker who uses the pots and wooden spoons to set up his drum set and he keeps me highly entertain while I cook, well .... while I used to cook, now that my mom is here I haven't even been in the kitchen. :)

JoEllen said...

I can prepare anything in the kitchen with twice the speed I used to be able to because of my helper! I'm so worried that he is going to dump something he shouldn't or spill something that we work super quickly. :) Sometimes that means the cookies don't get enough flour and they fall flat, or the cake is a little lumpy, but I'm okay with that. Little Sal loves that he gets to help. He is to the point now where he can flip over pancakes all by himself. I love it! Garrett appears to be a great kitchen helper and before you know it he'll be whipping up those muffins all by himself!

vdg family said...

He looks so pleased with himself. I am sure he's thinking, "How could Mom ever do without me?" :D I love it!

Janetta said...

The mark of a great mama; letting your child "help" when it might have been faster without! Good for you.

P.S. Love his little outfit.

lara said...

so cute, lindsay...i want to meet the little man in real life. i'm putting in an order for some pasta with meatballs.

GR82BAMOM said...

Cute pics! He looks like a natural, just like his fabulously talented mama! My little Liam is also a little "helper" in our kitchen. He loves to dry and put stuff away as we wash up in the kitchen. It's so funny how they actually WANT to help at this age. SO cute! Better take advantage of this now because later, we will probably have to BEG them to make their bed, clean up, take out the trash, etc.

Kristi said...

How fun and cute! Kate's started into wanting to help with everything, too. Sadly, with a bum hand and the level of toddler helpfulness she provides, it's near impossible to get anything done. :)