Occasionally the storyteller has permitted his patient to read to him, which is a recent development and happily now recurring feature of our days together. Up until a couple of weeks ago, he slammed the books shut every time I tried to read to him. Now, however, he brings me stories he wants to hear and stands at my lap to look at the pictures or snuggles next to me on the couch. Because he is the offspring of avid readers, he has many books in his collection to pick from. I find, however, that I read him the same few over (and over, and over) again.
His current favorite is Freight Train.*
For those of you unfamiliar with this lovely little picture book, let me recite it to you. From memory -- which is what is bound to happen when you read the same book to your child dozens of times a day.A train runs across this track.
Red caboose at the back. Orange tank car next. Yellow hopper car.
Green cattle car. Blue gondola car. Purple box car.
A Black tender and a Black steam engine.
Freight train. (This is the part where I ask Garrett what the train says, and he responds with a quiet and high-pitched "choo choo!")
Moving.
Going through tunnels.
Going by cities.
Crossing trestles.
Moving in darkness. Moving in daylight. Going, going...
gone.
I'm telling you, this one didn't win a Caldecott Honor for nothing. It's a classic, and I don't mind constantly reciting -- err, I mean reading -- it to my transportation-loving little boy.
And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to the couch to put my feet up. And probably read Freight Train to Garrett again.
*Other favorites ranking high on his list these days include:
- Moo, Baa, La! La! La!
- Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book
- Noisy Farm
- Dinosaur!
- The Cheerios Play Book (he likes to pretend to take Cheerios off the page and feed them to me)
- Dr. Seuss's ABC
10 comments:
I love how great children books can read like poetry. Beautiful!
Feel better soon!
Freight Train is a BIG favorite with my boys. Hope you're feeling better soon!
I just had a flashback of lying on my couch on bed rest with twins while I read my oldest "Are You My Mother?" I had it memorized, and a few weeks later, she did, too. It was adorable.
I hope you feel better soon. What a sweet little doctor you have. And he has excellent taste in books. :)
I love that front cover instantly! I need to see the rest of this book.
It's strange the books that my kids picked out, not the ones I wanted them too. Danni has gone through phases, now it's 'Ferdinand the Bull'.
We love Freight Train too.
Hope you feel better soon.
You are such a good Mom.
Sometimes I pretend the same book we've been reading bizillion times a day is lost and we are forced to read another one ... :-s
Hope you get better soon!!!
Yeay for Garrett taking good care of you!!
I memorized that book back when I lived with my sister and her daughter made me read it over and over. Classic.
This is a favorite of ours, although we don't own it. We always seem to pick it up from the library. We were also big fans of Moo, Baa, La! La! La! That was the first book that LIttle Sal started "reading" back to me. He would open it up and say "no, no, no" and point his fingers at the pigs. It was just too cute!
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. It's so much harder to be sick when your pregnant, but then throw a toddler in there and it's even more difficult! Garrett sounds like a great doctor and I'm sure you'll be on the mend before too long.
Post a Comment