Thursday, March 05, 2009

thoughts on a second pregnancy

I've been thinking a lot lately about the Lord's timing and allowing myself to trust in it and, ultimately, in Him, especially in regards to this second pregnancy, and I have learned a few things -- dear and sacred things -- that I'd like to share with you today.

Before I was pregnant with Garrett, I was baby hungry -- almost certifiably so. I wanted to be there, where so many of my friends were finding themselves. I wanted to be a mother. I wanted a baby to cuddle and care for, a companion I could watch grow up. Throughout my pregnancy with him, I marveled at my responsibility to host within me my growing boy, which certainly made it easier to bear the discomforts of my ever-changing body. When he was born, I was amazed at what we had created, and I was eager to begin my job as his mama.

As the weeks and months passed, however, I realized that I was not especially eager to ever repeat this process. Sure, I wanted more children, eventually, but the thought of surviving another pregnancy, another childbirth, another round of dark and difficult newborn days did not appeal to me like they did before. As Garrett grew older and the time came to start thinking about giving him a sibling, I'd push the thought to the back of my mind, telling myself that there was still plenty of time, I'd think about it later -- when I was baby hungry again.

In November the desire to be pregnant again was about as far away from my heart as it ever had been, but by Thanksgiving, something else was pricking at my brain, and how heartily it consumed me took me by surprise. Blake and I talked and I discovered that he was of the same mind: Someone, we knew, was anxiously waiting to join our family.

Neither of us could deny this feeling, this prompting. It was too strong and too persistent. Whether I was baby hungry or not, action had to be taken. By the turn of the new year, the pregnancy test read positive.

"Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Never before in my life have I understood this scripture as profoundly as I do now. Upon acknowledging the notion that some precious spirit needed to be with our family, and needed to come now, I put my thoughts and actions into the Lord's hands, and He took care of everything.

I am no more baby hungry than I was a few months ago, at least not in the same way I was before Garrett. But I am marveling at my responsibility to host this precious, growing child, and I am more and more finding myself just as anxious to meet him or her as he or she was to come to me. I am grateful for the guidance and direction of the Lord, into whose arms I have placed myself. I can't do this a second time by myself, but happily, I don't have to.

11 comments:

heath said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Claudia said...

Awwwww ...

so how is it with a little one running around? I remember my pregnancy with Nicolas was so relaxed and lazy, if I was tired I just laid on the couch and watch TV or ate ... or did nothing (once I got home from work) and if I picture myself pregnant now I know I couldn't do all those things. Is it harder?, easier? better?

Sara said...

As Christopher was a wonderful surprise (pregnant within 6 weeks of marriage)...I never felt that baby hunger with him. I was overjoyed, but didn't have the time to anxiously await pregnancy and all it entailed.

However, I've been baby hungry something fierce for a year now. It's been heartbreaking to have to wait until the Lord could set things up just right for us in regards to our living/financial/school situation. I am anxious to find myself pregnant one day soon...but I know that patience is a virtue. This next baby of ours will be very well planned for and prepared for!

I am eager to hear more about your coming little one!

Kristi said...

Thanks for sharing. It's amazing what the Lord can do in our lives when we let go and let him.

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about baby #2. I was touched by what you wrote.

The scripture you shared from Proverbs is one of my favorites too.

Desmama said...

Excellent thoughts. I'm happy for you and can't wait to see the joy this new little one brings.

Unknown said...

thanks lindsay. this is one reason that I never got too upset when I heard other people were pregnant (in hindsight of course)...because the Lord has a plan for everyone and we all are in the process of discovering what that is. glad it means another little one for you guys! I am definitely scared to relive those sleepless nights again too. but you're right-you don't do it alone!

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know that bringing a child into the world is a very personal and spiritual experience, so I appreciate your willingness to give us a glimpse.

Emily said...

I love that scripture. And it makes sense that you're not "baby hungry" this time around b/c you actually know what you're getting yourself into! J/K! But, seriously, I don't think I'll ever be that "delusional" again. ;) Thank goodness for the Spirit or we might all be only children.

Katie said...

The Lord definately has something in mind when he gives us those strong promptings. As hard as it is to follow them sometimes, it always turns out to be a good thing. :)

Michelle said...

I totally understand. And Congrats! Garrett will have fun with a little sibling and I am sure you will be amazed how things will work out.