Monday, March 09, 2009

at home in the neighborhood: grocery shopping

I am sure you are all dying to know what it's like to grocery shop in Brooklyn, especially without a car. Well, today, then, is your lucky day. This morning Garrett and I went out to do our weekly stocking of the shelves, and I am now ready to let you in on the quirks and intricacies of city grocery shopping.

First of all, if you are on foot, you will need a folding cart because you won't be able to carry it all home in your arms. (And on days with a particularly long shopping list, the stroller won't even cut it. Two gallons of milk dangling from a lightweight stroller? I don't think so.) Garrett likes to ride in our cart while it's empty and he helps me push it when it's full. He's a good helper that way.

While Brooklyn is home to your typical supermarket, it is also home to smaller specialty markets. When I need fish, I usually stop by the fish market because it's fresher and sometimes cheaper. When I need produce, I often stop by the produce market. My favorite produce market is 3 Guys, but it's a good distance away, and I don't always have the time, energy, or cooperating weather forecast to go there. Luckily for me, a new fruit and vegetable stand just opened up in my neighborhood which, unlike some others nearby, is generally good about stocking decent-looking and well-priced produce. Plus, the owner, who himself is a proud family man, treats his customers well. He is always incredibly helpful when I'm struggling to get my cart and my toddler inside his store and today he gave Garrett a banana just for being a cute boy. Also, milk is often a better price here than it is at the supermarket. So the first stop on my grocery rounds is usually the Stop and Go.


Next up is the grocery aisle of our Rite Aid Pharmacy. Nearly every week, an item or two that I regularly purchase (such as raisins, creamed soups, or taco seasoning) goes on sale for a far better price than at the supermarket, so I stop in to stock up. I love our Rite Aid, and the people who work there, I've noticed, love me, either because I give them my business, or because I have a darling little boy they like to dote over. (I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Nora, my favorite cashier, is always cooing over Garrett in her thick Brooklyn accent, fondly remembering the days when he'd come in as an infant bundled up in his teddy bear coat.) While I'm here, I'll also stock up on any household and toiletry items that we need or which are on sale.


My third, and usually my final stop, is the supermarket. It is here where I purchase the bulk of my shopping list items. Sometimes, like this morning, I'll let Garrett help me push my little cart around the store. Other times I'll load him and my previous purchases inside a regular, albeit pint-sized, store cart, fold up my own cart and hang it upright from the hooks provided at the back. I'm a bulky, awkward load when I do this, and it's often pretty difficult to steer in and out of the teeny tiny aisles, but a few bumps never anyone, right? I'm just as recognized here as I am at the produce market and Rite Aid, and again, probably because of Garrett. (He may at times be a very awkward accessory, but he's proven himself to always be worth the extra weight.)

Before any of you walk away from this post with an image of your typical suburban supermarket in your head, let me just clear a few things up right now. Most Brooklyn grocery stores -- at least the several that I've been in -- consist of a small handful of narrow and tightly packed aisles with food items stacked almost higher than you can reach. And while every square inch of available space is stocked with products, the selection is not huge. You're lucky to find store brands, or even a wide variety of name brands. Consequently, it's a little harder to shop on a tight budget, which is why my meals often revolve around the weekly circular. It took me some time to get used to NYC grocery stores, but now that I have, I've discovered that I often feel lost and overwhelmed in their suburban counterparts.


All three of these Monday grocery shopping stops are within 5 quick blocks of home and three blocks of each other. It really is handy having so much so close (especially in the drizzly weather we dealt with this morning), and makes the on-foot routine a little less tedious. Now, if you want to talk tedious, I could tell you how I get all these purchases up the stairs to our apartment. I think, though, that I'll let your imaginations go creative with that one -- mine usually has to.

18 comments:

Desmama said...

I think about you and what must be your experience grocery shopping--or any kind of errand running--a lot! Especially when I think I've got my hands full.

P.S. Message for you on my latest blog post!

Nancy said...

I would still love to live in NYC...So much available and so many people... Love it, love it!

Claire said...

Interesting! So I want to know if you bring your purchases from one store to the next, and how you keep the workers at the next store from thinking you're stealing, or do you go home in between each store? Also I imagine you can't buy tons of groceries, so how often do you go grocery shopping? I am still trying to figure out how you get them all into your apartment, though.

Carrie said...

Wow, that would be quite the day. It sounds quaint though. The people also sound very friendly.

Heather said...

Sounds like an adventure! How fun it must be to know the people who work in your neighborhood...much more friendly than the chain stores around here. I will be curious to hear how you manage these trips with two sets of helping hands :)

Lyndsie Miles said...

Ok, I'm tired just thinking of doing all of that with a cute toddler and on foot.
My hat is off to you!
And getting it all up to your apartment makes me even more tired to think about.

Lindsay said...

Desmama - I imagine that my shopping on foot with one child is often pretty similar, in some ways anyway, to your shopping by car with three small children.

Nancy - Come be our neighbor!

Claire - First of all, the previously bought purchases are bagged up, so they can pretty easily be kept separate from the current store's purchases. There's also a level of trust...people here know that you're not going to go home in between trips to each store (and, unless I absolutely have to, I try to do everything in one trip), and so the honor system is pretty solidly in place. As for how often I go grocery shopping...to help with both the budget and my limited muscle strength, I go once a week.

Carrie - I actually can do this all in about an hour. And it is super awesome to feel kind of like I'm living in a small town in one of the biggest cities in the world.

Heather - Believe you me -- I have given this grocery shopping with TWO children business a good deal of thought. I imagine that my current handling of Garrett will remain a lot the same, only as he continues to get older, he'll do even more walking. Number Two will be carried in my infant carrier for several months, but once we reach that awkward "too heavy to carry, but not steady enough to walk yet" stage, we'll probably adjust the shopping trip so that it happens when Blake's at home. Either that, or I'll start relying on my supermarket's free delivery option and limit what I'm carrying home.

Lynz - Thanks. And my hat is often off to you. I can't imagine leaving the house with three small children and another one soon to arrive. THAT makes me tired just to think about.

Joyce said...

I know it's hard to get around everywhere on foot with a small child and another on the way. However, I can't help but think you are living in "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" -- Blake's favorite show when he was small!

Anonymous said...

I have so much admiration for you Lindsay. You are amazing in what you do in Brooklyn! I HAVE often wondered what you do when you go grocery shopping and how you get everything you need without a car. Well now I know. I would love to visit there sometime and see these markets, etc. just for the experience!

I remember the post about how you do your laundry now as opposed to when you used to take Garrett with you and wow! I am constantly in awe of you and how you do everything you do! You're an awesome wife and mother!

Kristi said...

It sounds about like grocery shopping in Europe. Only I imagine that it's significantly more complicated with a little one to lug around, too! The most complicated thing I did was bring home a head of lettuce stashed under my arm while riding a bike. That was hard!

Claudia said...

Once again you took me back in time (and place). I could see myself walking to the fresh market with my mom on Sat. morning, carrying baskets - they didn't have rollers :( - and all kinds of strong material bags filled with produces!!

I can close my eyes and smell the fresh herbs, vegetables and fruits, and yes I remember getting a free apple or a free banana, knowing the guy who sold you the green beans each week. What a pleasure to have that on present days! I know it's tiring and inconvenient but it brings back the good old days to mind! Hopefully Garrett will have great memories too!!!!!

When I was in college (no dorms in Chile, you have to find your own place to live) I live in the 4th floor (no elevator) and we had to carry our bags up the stairs. Being young and without children we just loaded up ourselves with rows and rows of bags up our arms ... just so we wouldn't have to go back all four sets of stairs again! Now with a child, I'm not sure how you do it.

GREAT POST!!

PS: in my regular chain store shopping I try to look for familiar faces and I know a few, enough to make some kind of neighborhood like conversation. Doesn't always work though!!

Samantha said...

I totally want to hear how you get the stuff up to your apartment, b/c I too live in an apt. on the 3rd floor.

Emily said...

The next time I jump in my car and head out to my enormous discount grocery store right up the road--I will be more appreciative. What an adventure! I am curious to see how this will all work with baby #2. I am envious though of being able to go to a fruit market or a fish market-it sounds cool and very New Yorkish (is that a word?).

Dave said...

cool post!!!

Lindsay said...

Samantha - Now that Garrett is walking, this is usually how I get the groceries inside: I lug my full cart up the few front steps and into the lobby. I let Garrett start going up the stairs while I take an armful of bags up, which I stick in the hall outside our door. Then I go down for a second trip (and on this trip, I put my cart away under the stairs next to the other tenant's carts). Meanwhile, Garrett's still working on getting himself up the stairs. After I've dropped off my last load outside our door, I go back for him. Then together we lug everything inside. It's exhausting, but really quite doable -- so long as you're not in an incredible hurry. It can be a time intensive process. :)

Emily - I'm curious, too, to see how all this will work with two children. I guess will see. I'll probably try what I mentioned to Heather above, and if that doesn't work, I might go for the free delivery option.

lori said...

This blog is aptly named - what an adventure!!

Janetta said...

Wow, three stops...you are an amazing bargain hunter. I still remember a post you did about feeding your family for only $100, was it? Kudos to you!

Erin said...

I often feel jealous of your Brooklyn adventures as opposed to my Westchester suburban life.

This however, I do not envy! I have a car and a large cart to lug my child around in and I still get exhausted. You're amazing!