Wednesday, January 23, 2008

my day in history

January 23, 1983 - 1st birthday. And what's a first birthday without the opportunity to feed yourself some chocolate cake?


January 23, 1984 - 2nd birthday. I got a Showbiz Pizza party and, according to my baby book, loved watching the animals singin' and riding on my favorite ride, the little ark with the steering wheel and hooter.

January 23, 1985 - 3rd birthday.

January 23, 1986 - 4th birthday. Me and a few friends got to take our favorite dollies to visit the McCurdy Doll Museum.













January 23, 1987 - 5th birthday

January 23, 1988 - 6th birthday (no photo available). My memory's spotty on this one, but I'm pretty sure it involved cupcakes in my Kindergarten classroom.

January 23, 1989 - 7th birthday. When it came time to blow out my birthday cake candles, I wished really, super hard that my pregnant mother would finally give me a sister. My brothers were great fun and all, but I desperately needed a female ally. Three months later my wish was granted.


January 23, 1990 - 8th birthday. It was my year for a friends party and one of the few friends parties I remember. It was spectacular, and included not only a handful of my favorite buddies, but also a rousing game of "push the Tootsie Roll across the living room floor with your nose."


January 23, 1991 - 9th birthday.
January 23, 1992 - 10th birthday. Ten years old! What a perfect age! I mean, come on -- TWO whole hands! I remember wishing I could stay 10 forever. Obviously that one didn't come true.

January 23, 1993 - 11th birthday. Making the most of being two whole hands PLUS a big toe. Yeah...awkward, isn't it? My year again for a friends party and for it I planned a small slumber party. Unfortunately I was sick with a cold and spent the whole time blowing my way through an entire box of Kleenex.

January 23, 1994 - 12th birthday. I was sick sick sick and was also scheduled to sing in the choir at the Tabernacle on Temple Square for an evening broadcast. Both were reasons that I missed my first day in Young Womens (at last I could end my days as that freakishly tall Primary kid!). My sister, Chelsea, who was born ten days earlier, was, like the granting of my 7th birthday wish, probably my best present. This family photo was snapped somewhere amidst cake and presents, a stomach flu-induced trip to the bathroom, and the drive to Salt Lake City to sing for the broadcast.

January 23, 1995 - 13th birthday (no photo available). Whenever anyone asked me what I wanted that year as a gift, I told them I wanted a box of crayons. Consequently I ended up that year with a lifetime supply of Crayolas. And thus began several long years of teenage awkwardness.

January 23, 1996 - 14th birthday (no photo available). Went sledding in the canyon with my friend, Lyndsie. Got soaking wet. Had a blast. Also attempted to drive up the road to Sundance to see the film festival, but got stuck part way up. I don't blame her mother for turning the car around...at one point it was nothing but deep snow and an icy ledge.

January 23, 1997 - 15th birthday (no photo available). Because our lives were busy and it was incredibly hard to find even just five minutes that we could spend together as a family to celebrate, we all got up extra early and celebrated before school. Mom woke up even earlier than the rest of us and made me my favorite food, quiche lorraine, for breakfast. I spent the evening at my weekly volunteer shift at the hospital where my supervisor, Sandra (who was also born on January 23rd), and I celebrated both of our birthdays by scarfing down famous Snack Bar milkshakes.

January 23, 1998 - 16th birthday (no photo available). Was spent at an ice skating lesson, eating cake with my family, and trying hard not to be sad that I wasn't invited to the first boy's choice high school dance, held that night, that I was "legally" old enough to attend.

January 23, 1999 - 17th birthday (no photo available). Aside from the traditional evening family party, I got to spend an enjoyable afternoon with my dad at the theater parked in front of "You've Got Mail." Also had lovely conversations with both parents about the cold, snowy day I gave them that title.

January 23, 2000 - 18th birthday (no photo available). Spent a nice, quiet day at home with my family.

January 23, 2001 - 19th birthday. This was a particularly sad birthday. Three days earlier my grandpa died, so this day was spent on several small planes traveling from Rexburg, Idaho to St. George, Utah. Instead of cake and ice cream, I went to his viewing. The funeral was the next day. When I got back to Ricks on the 25th, my roommates surprised me with a small party in the dorm lounge.

January 23, 2002 - 20th birthday (no photo available). I had just transferred from Ricks down to BYU and didn't yet feel like I fit it - with my roommates, in my ward, etc. I wasn't living at home, so my birthday was pretty quiet. Was given a small TV/VCR combo to help fill the silence in my lonely apartment.

January 23, 2003 - 21st birthday (no photo available). I woke up to an apartment decorated by my lovely, lovely roommates. They also made me a cake.

January 23, 2004 - 22nd birthday (no photo available). Woke up to a sweet happy birthday message from my room-roommate written in dry erase marker on my mirror. Mom and Dad took me to lunch at Osaka. Was also given a thoughtful little party in the evening by my roommates, which included tacos made by Heather.

January 23, 2005 - 23rd birthday (no photo available). My golden year! (And what a golden year it turned out to be...23 years old and set to be married on the 23rd of the following April.) My fabulous fiance, Blake, gave me a lovely copy of Pablo Neruda's poetry, took me to dinner at a little Italian restaurant in downtown Provo and then for a drive up beautiful, snowy Provo Canyon.

January 23, 2006 - 24th birthday. Blake attempted to make me a 2-layer cake. Actually turned out to be pile of cherry chips and chocolate frosting. Still delicious, though.

January 23, 2007 - 25th birthday. Thanks to Blake, I enjoyed a very nice day. He whisked me away to an Indiana version of France and filled the day with one surprise after another. Got over the morning sickness in the nick of time. This year the cake turned out...less messy.


January 23, 2008 - 26th birthday. A pleasant day so far. I've been spending it at home with Garrett, who's been in an adorably pleasant mood. It's cold but sunny outside, so an afternoon walk will probably happen. Blake made me a cake last night which we will eat this evening when he gets home. Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes you've been sending my way!!
[Update: The day's been fantastic. Garrett was a happy, playful Angel Baby, even when we went for a walk with the new carrier (we chose the blue one, by the way), and Blake worked it so he could leave work an hour early. Honestly, those were the two best presents I could have received (though the three books Blake gave me were pretty fabulous, too). I now know that chocolate fudge brownie milkshakes + dark chocolate fudge birthday cake = too much. But it WAS pretty cute to watch Garrett taste the milkshakes and freak out when we turned on the blender to make them. Thanks again, all, for a great 26th birthday!]

26 comments:

mcampbell said...

You are so beautiful!!

Happy Birthday!!

(It was so fun to watch you grow up via your birthday pictures--aging is such a beautiful thing.)

love you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday :)

Anonymous said...

Have a very happy birthday! We hope that all of you have a great day! Oh, and tell Blake we said Hi!

goddessdivine said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

(I like how you conveniently don't have pictures of the teenage years.)

Lindsay said...

Kristen - if I'd had teenage birthday photos, I'd have posted them, big glasses, crooked teeth, pimply face and all. (I'm feeling oddly brave today.) But if they exist, I certainly haven't seen any. At least not recently.

FoxyJ said...

Loved the recap--did you have the same cake every year?

Happy Birthday!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Happy Birthday! If we were in Provo I would definitely take you down to reminisce the 15th birthday and have a "snack bar milkshake." Oddly enough, since you mentioned the snack bar months ago, I have been wishing I could have an Oreo shake. No shake in Indiana can compare to that one.

Amy said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! enjoy that cake ;)

And man, you have an AWESOME memory.....

Sarah said...

A very happy birthday to my favorite Lindsay! I love all your birthday memories. I guess I should be more of a journal writer just to be able to give such a blog entry.

And, thanks for all your comments on my blog. I too think my children are hilarious; I'm glad you see their humor.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, especially as it reminded me of all the horrible fashions I sported during the 80s.

And, of course, hope you have a very wonderful birthday!

heath said...

I made you tacos? What a fun trip down memory lane. Loved all the stories! Happy 26th. It's a good age.

Desmama said...

Happy 26 years, Lindsay! This was such a fun post to read. I hope the rest of your day is lovely!

Ashley Thalman said...

happy happy birthday lindsay dear. happy days will come to you all year. if i had a wish then it would be, a happy happy birthday for you from me!

Scrappy said...

Lindsay,
I am Kimberlie Hall's younger sister.
All of these pictures remind me of my childhood. I love the matching doll dress--so cute.
Happy birthday!

Vivian Love said...

Cute pictures and fun stories. Happy birthday!
Vivian Love

Samantha said...

Happy merry Birthday! Fun pictures!

Sara said...

Happy Be-lated Birthday!!!

Wendy said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I loved reading about all your special days.

Krysta said...

Happy Birthday! I just can't believe you remember something about all your birthdays...mine just kindof blurr together when I think about them. Good work!

Lindsay said...

Journals, people, journals! My memory certainly has its moments, for sure, but the gaps this post originally had were filled by the stack of filled journals sitting in my closet.

Unknown said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

RJ said...

Incredible. This is a dang cool post Lindsay. How fun for you and US!

N.F. said...

Very neat idea! You've got a greater memory than I...because there's no way in heck I could remember all the stuff I've done for my birthday.

January 23, 1988 - I was baptized!

wes said...

I read this on Wed. and thought I had commented! (I must have encountered a two year old distraction! =)

HAPPY Brithday, Lindsay! This is a great post! What fun to see all of those birthday pics!!

Hope this coming year is the best yet!

lori said...

me above =)

Kristeee said...

What a fun way to celebrate your day! Happy birthday to you (a few days late, sorry), and I hope the milkshakes were as good as Garrett's freaking out - so funny!